19

"Alright, I'm back," I said as I knocked on the door to Colby's room, "What the fuck are you doing?"

I entered the room to see Colby reading papers on his bed. Since he had his glasses on and laptop open, I'm assuming they weren't for recreation.

"I left for two minutes to grab a book and I come back to see you doing exactly what you're not supposed to be doing," I walked over to the bed, placing my book down by his feet.

"I don't listen to Xepher or anyone else here," Colby insisted, though he didn't stop me from shutting his laptop and putting it beside my book.

"You aren't listening to anyone. You're doing what she says. End of story," I tapped the papers against my stomach before setting them wth the laptop, then turned to Colby with my hand held out, "Glasses," I demanded.

"A little bossy, aren't we?" He asked me, yet obliged and removed his glasses and put them in my hand.

"Thank you," I sat them beside his nightstand, "Look, seeing you fall over in the middle of your office wasn't the best sight to see, okay?" I didn't look at him, moving to pick up the rest of his work supplies and set them on his nightstand, "I'm just making sure you're alright,"

"I'm fine. See?" He motioned to his body that was mostly hidden underneath his comforters, "Plus, it's a rib injury. Not a brain injury,"

"Still," I said as if that was enough reason, "Three inches from the heart is a little too close for comfort,"

"It could have been three inches into my heart," Colby pointed out, causing me to stare at him with an obvious look on my face.

"Another word and I'll poke your stitches," I threatened, walking over and crawling onto the bed from the other side, sitting crisscross to face him..

Colby did manage to stay quiet for a little while, quiet enough that I thought he was asleep. I didn't look at him, afraid I would stare or be reminded of last night. I didn't want to repeat that, ever.

"Why do you look so serious?" Colby asked, reaching over and gently caressing my chin with his thumb and index finger.

"I'm just thinking," I shrugged, meeting his eyes. I could see he was bored with nothing to do.

"Thinking about what?" I thought he would brush off my short response, but when I glanced over at him once more he had a look of interest on his face.

"To be completely honest," I internally cringed at what I was going to say next, "I was thinking about you. Well, last night, actually. Kind of,"

"What about last night?" Colby ignored my uncertainty but bit the bottom of his lip, seeming to have no intention of closing his mouth completely.

"I don't know," I shrugged again, with more force than before, "I think that it's all so confusing to me, you know? Like, I got kidnapped, and now I'm here but at the same time all this stuff seems to be happening that I never imagined before. Why am I here and not some other girl?"

"Kiara," Colby let out a sigh, and his words came out as annoyed, "You know why you're here already. We're saving you from having to get killed by us,"

"Yeah but if I never got kidnapped then I would live a blissful life without knowing that I would die." I pointed out, and he took this into cosideration.

Or so I thought.

"Why can't you be grateful that we're saving your life instead of complaining about the life you could've had?" Colby snapped at me, his eyes squinted as he tilted his head at me.

"Because I miss my family!" I let my hand flop into my lap, "I wish I was home, with my friends and my mom. I want to grieve properly for my grandfather instead of crying silently to sleep every night cause these walls are too damn thin and I can't make a noise without anyone hearing!"

"You don't like it here?" Colby seemed genuinely hurt by that assumption.

"My life isn't here in California with a ton of people who are probably gang affiliated but don't tell me anything so it only leads me to assume!" I argued, but calmed my voice down as I continued, "I have no idea who any of you are, not really. Yeah, I know what you guys act like when you're around me, but how do I know I can trust you? How do I know that I can trust you when the last person who trusted you, got shot and killed!"

"You want us to take you home?" Colby asked, leaning forward though under better circumstances I would have advised him not to.

I stayed silent, not looking anywhere but into his eyes. He deserved to know what I was implying.

"Can you please get out of my bedroom?" Colby asked, the breath coming heavily through his nose. I didn't move, but I sat there and stared at him.

Seeing how he was wounded yet able to scare me to the pit of my ass was really something.

"I said get OUT!" Colby raised his voice, pointing to the door aggressively.

I didn''t know how to leave with some sort of pride being shone, but I did. I slid myself off the bed using my arms, and walked with my head high as I walked out the door.

I didn't look at him until I went to shut the door so I had to turn around, which must not have been quick enough for him, "Shut my -"

I cut him off, opening it more so I could spare the others from having to hear my voice in such a tone, "I get it, okay?!"

I slammed it in my own face, but I didn't waste time going to my room.

Remember how I said I had paper thin walls?

I hope Colby heard every single sob that escaped my mouth as I sat on my bed and cried.

Every. Single. One.