26

"Alright, you three," Colby pointed at Jake, Corey and I while avoiding meeting my eyes, "Are going to room four eighteen. Sam and I are going to set up the bomb, then we'll be here. Stick to the plan,"

"Let's go," Corey said, tossing me my gun before walking past Jake to the entrance to the hotel room.

I felt like I couldn't focus, not completely. I didn't respond to Colby when he told me he loved me. I was simply speechless, seeing as it came out of nowhere.

Love can't be so certain when neither of us were certain with each other and what we want. We hardly knew each other, barely scraping the surface with each other's lives. I didn't think our bond was something built on our personalities but on the attraction we felt when we were together.

I stayed quiet as we walked down the staircase, hiding my gun in the waistband of my jeans. Jake was behind me, Corey in front.

We walked through the lobby and down the street without a problem, but that changed once we got to the other hotel.

"Uh," Jake glanced at us, "Does anyone know how to get upstairs?"

I looked over at Corey, who had the same expression of uncertainty as Jake and I did.

"Let me ask someone," I said, waving down a woman who couldn't be over thirty years old. "Excuse me, miss?"

"Do you need something?" The woman looked at me with disinterest, clearly wanting to get back to her friends who were urging her to come to where they were.

"How do you get up to the hotel?" I looked around the walls of the bar for any indication of where the staircase was to get upstairs, and when I saw none I looked back at her once more.

"There's a staircase beside the bar," She said, a hint of a smile on her face. She must have understood that we weren't from around here, seeing as how popular this place was.

"Thank you," I turned back to Corey and Jake, "Let's go,"

Luckily, the bar didn't have as many people as before, so it was even easier for us to get to the staircase the woman pointed to. There was nobody on the stairs or in the hallways in the hotel, and if they were it looked like they were going down to the bar based on their outfits and alcohol in their hands.

But we ignored them, making our way to the first floor where room four eighteen was located.

"Alright," Jake whispered, pulling his gun out from the holster he insisted he had to bring with him, "Corey keep watch, Kiara and I will go into the hotel room and get a count of how many people are in there,"

"How do you get in?" Corey asked as we approached the door. Jake held up a hotel card with a smirk on his face before swiping it over the scanner, popping the door open.

To our surprise, the floor was incredibly creaky, too loud for both of us to walk across without waking the people in the room. Jake stood still beside the light switch, leaving it off so we didn't disturb our targets.

"Count them," He whisper-shouted, "I'll wait here,"

I nodded, going around the corner to where two beds were. Sam told us earlier that there were supposed to be five people there, and there were only three.

I turned around, giving Jake and Corey the news when I was no longer in the hotel room.

"Okay, do any of you have your phones?" Corey asked, looking back and forth between us.

I patted my pockets and Jake did the same, both of us shaking our heads.

"Shit. Okay, well two of us have to go back to tell Colby and Sam," Corey put his hands on his head, letting them fall quietly.

"You guys go," I whispered, "I"ll watch the door and see if anyone goes in," I didn't want to tell them that I didn't want to be back in our hotel room because Colby and I"s situation was awkward right now, but it made sense for me to stay back because I was smaller and quieter so I could hide with little issue.

"Okay," Jake motioned for Corey to follow him, and they walked back down the hallway and to the staircase.

I looked around for a place to hide, and though there were no closets or large plants, there was a corner around the hallway. Seeing as how creaky the floors were, it would be easy for me to hear when someone approached the door.

That's where I made my way to, hoping that the people we needed would come soon so they had a higher chance of being asleep by the time Jake and Corey got back.

I hoped this would be easy to do, shoot five people and get out in time to set off a bomb. It sounded easy, so it shouldn't be hard to accomplish.

With our luck, something might go wrong but we'd face it when we got to that road. Right now, everything was going smoothly and we should be back in California in the morning, all of this being a distant memory.

I hoped my brother made it to the airport okay, and didn't get robbed or injured when he got there. I chose a risky city for him to stay at but Kavin was smart, he knew how to take care of himself.

I was happy I was at least able to save one of my siblings, so I had someone I knew I could trust no matter what seeing that I had no idea where the rest of my family was.

I realized that the floorboards were creaking down the hall, indicating that someone had entered and was making their way to the room.

I risked peaking my head around the corner, and to my luck I saw someone standing outside room four eighteen. They looked like they were nervous, turning their head towards the staircase to watch for people as they opened the door.

I turned back to hide behind the wall as he turned his head, but I looked one more time and had to suppress my gasp.

I saw the man's face. And that was my father.

Azad Kumar.