Chapter 1

CIA Academy of Espionage

Outdoor Training Facility

September 4

1100 hours

I trudged through the tough vegetation, swatting away any leaves poking out with my paintball gun close by my side, easy to access when danger came. The smell of latex drifted above as I carefully walked, crouched, using the leaves to hide myself. I looked to my right where my two friends Jawa and Mike were hiding, covered in leaves, trying to make use of the effect of camouflage as well.

It was the first day of Spy School and we were attending a Capture the Flag game which was part of the SASCA's exam, only with paintball guns that you could fire and take someone out of the game. I signaled to them and they hurried over quietly, careful not to make any sound that would alert the other team of our position.

"Okay Mike, you can be the bait, try to get the defenders' attention," I whispered, "and Jawa and I will try to shoot down any remaining defenders if needed and grab the flag while they are distracted."

"Oh, come on," Mike complained, "why do I always have to be the bait. Can't you or Jawa do it?"

"Well," I replied, "you can hold them off for a decent amount of time and you certainly know that guns aren't my strong suit. As for Jawa, he is rather valuable not counting Erica and if he is sent to be the bait, there is a chance he is going to be shot by a paintball and taken out of the game. We can't risk something like that."

Mike seemed to be convinced enough and with that, he hurried over to the defenders, making himself completely visible and an obvious target. He aimed his paintball gun and started firing in random directions, drawing most of the defenders attention to him and they too started firing back. After Mike's paint supply was mostly gone due to the continuous firing, he led the defenders to the opposite direction, making room for Jawa and I to make a move.

I peered out of the leaves in my hiding space and I saw a few of the defenders, smart enough to suspect that Mike was merely just a bait and the objective was to lure everyone away, stayed in their positions, waiting for any sort of an ambush. I slowly got my paintball gun which was resting on the ground and scanned the area, making sure there weren't any opponents lurking around, preparing for an attack on us.

After making sure nobody was following us, I looked over the defenders and tried to decide which one I was to shoot down first. After a few seconds of debating, I came to a conclusion that they would all be okay as Jawa and I had the effect of surprise on our side. I fired two shots at the tall boy, who seemed to be the best out of the group. Taking him out would probably increase our odds, I thought.

Suddenly, the noise of firing and the strong smell of latex interrupted my thoughts and I jumped up, revealing our hiding spot. I immediately dropped down to my stomach, narrowly missing the paintballs that wizzed over my head, threatening to take me out. I looked to my left and saw Jawa picking up his paintball gun and started shooting at the defenders, taking them down one by one leaving only a short, skinny boy, who saw his teammates had all fallen, dropped his gun and raised up his hands in surrender. This might have been a bit too easy, I thought, I wonder how Mike is doing.

I took aim at the flag and just as I was about to cover the flag in paint and declare our team's victory, Erica appeared behind a tree and started firing at the hill, defending her team's flag. I signaled to Jawa and we came out of our positions and started shooting back, but our attempts to take Erica out were vain. A few seconds later, Jawa and I had paintball splatters all over our body and the entire hill was covered in multiple colors, both from our firing and Erica's.