Chapter 4

Somewhere in SPYDER Headquarters

September 6

0930 hours

When I finally woke up, I looked around the room I was in and it appeared that I was tied to a chair and with Erica in a plain white room with no windows or any openings that could signify that if it was morning or any other time of the day. There was only a door on the right side of the room but it was out of reach, even if I somehow managed to break free of the ropes binding me to the chair. I usually could tell what time it was without any sort of other help but since I was probably drugged, I couldn't tell how many hours I had been asleep.

When I looked to my right, Erica was still unconscious, or it just seemed like that. Erica always could sleep lightly and tended to listen in to conversations when enemy agents thought she was still unconscious or under the effects of a sedation dart. As I studied her face closer, her eye twitched, just barely, but that was the only signal I needed to know that she was fully alert and was probably planning for our escape from SPYDER. I was about to do the same as Erica, pretending to be unconscious when Joshua and Murray walked in.

"Hello Ben, it's real nice to see you today, all bound up on a chair." Murray said snidely, wearing a smirk on his face. He was a double agent, or possibly more, and had worked for SPYDER and the CIA for multiple periods, always switching the other when his work was done in one. Murray obviously had helped himself to plenty of bacon and other sorts of junk food as his hair was back to its greasy self and his stomach bulged out, threatening to rip the shirt he was wearing. Joshua, on the other hand, was still extremely fit and his newly added artificial limbs added to his menacing look.

"Yes Ben," sneered Joshua, "I am quite glad to see you." He walked over and inspected me like I was a slave just about to be sold to a master. Then, he turned to Erica but didn't give more than much of a glance. It was nearly impossible to know if he suspected that Erica was listening in and was just faking unconsciousness, but that didn't matter now. He was more focused on me and I had a feeling that the only reason Erica was here was that she was my weakness and they thought they could lure me to do whatever they wanted as I didn't want Erica to be harmed in any way.

Now, I realized why Erica had thought forming friendships within the spy business was extremely dangerous and now would be the time when my loyalty would be taken to the test. I gulped, but stayed calm and reassured myself that that was only a hunch and that my number one priority was what Joshua and Murray were going to do to me now. I braced for a punch or some other sort of attack, but surprisingly, Joshua ordered Murray to untie me and Erica. This is quite odd, I thought, I better stay alert as they might still be trying to lure me into doing something, presumably using me to complete their plans. I remembered the time when I was undercover as a SPYDER operative and SPYDER used me to figure out where to launch their missiles at the bridges.

Joshua walked out of the room and I, unsure what to do at the moment, followed him with Erica in my front. He led us to a room similar to the one I was just in but larger and behind the wooden desk, there was a tall man sitting in a chair with his back facing us.

He suddenly turned and I almost jumped in surprise, while Erica stood still, not showing any sort of expression. On his shirt was a white sticker where the words Mr. E Head of SPYDER were printed. At first I was confused, as we had already captured Mr. E, or Ms. E as she told us that she had used a device to lower her voice, thus making her sound like a man. The "Mr. E" must have noticed my expression as he sneered. "You're thinking that this isn't possible is it? The fact that you captured Ms. E and sent her to prison? Well, let me explain to you. She was merely just a secretary and I am the real Mr. E not that brainless secretary."