Chapter 3

CIA Academy of Espionage

Armistead Dormitories

September 5

0100 hours

Beep! Beep! Beep! I woke up groggily as I only had 4 hours of sleep, or 3 hours and 52 minutes to be precise. I always had an innate sense of time and could tell exactly when it was during the day, except when I was drugged. I slammed my hand against the snooze button and was about to fall back asleep when I sensed something in my room. Despite being still very tired from the lack of rest, I became suddenly alert and quickly grabbed a book on my nightstand and held it over my head, trying to protect myself if there was an intruder or any other sort of danger. After a few minutes, nothing seemed to happen so I peeked out behind my book and scanned the room for anything suspicious.

As I walked around the room in the dark, I slipped over something and fell flat on my face. I looked down and it took a while to spot the object but when I groped around for the object, I felt a slick and thin item. I turned on my lamp and saw what it was: a flash drive. Just then, while I was so focused on the flash drive, I turned and noticed the glowing numbers on my digital clock, showing it was already 1:03, three minutes past the time Cyrus had told us to wake up and arrive.. I quickly stuffed the flash drive in my pocket and dressed.

When I arrived at the principal's office, or closet, where Cyrus had directed us to be, I saw everybody, apparently waiting for me.

"What took you so long?," Cyrus asked roughly. Luckily, I actually had a good excuse for this, unlike other times when I had overslept or done something else.

I put my hand into my pocket and felt for the flash drive I had found. "I actually found something in my room that might help with the mission," I said, showing the flash drive to everyone. Cyrus snatched the flash drive from my hand and continued on talking. "So Mike and Zoe will stay here and observe what you're seeing on the computers. As I told you before, you will have small cameras and microphones clipped onto your hair allowing Zoe and Mike to see what you're seeing. This way, we can still have backup and know if something's happened to you."

"Erica and Ben," Cyrus added, "you two will be dressed in complete black for stealth and your objective is to search the entire school, inside and outside for where SPYDER is hiding. Before we do that, I suppose we could watch the flash drive Ben found in his room." Cyrus plugged the flash drive into a nearby computer and soon, the screen flickered on and there on the screen, Joshua appeared.

We all stared intently at the nearly robot Joshua and it seemed in the recording that he had broken another leg and arm, leaving only his torso and part of his head human. He started talking. "So, as you always do, you successfully thwart our plans and always are able to catch us. But in this time, you won't! You can search the entire world, and possibly the whole universe but you won't be able to find us, no matter your technology. Well, unless you have what we have. But anyways, Bye, bye!"

Then, the screen went black and the computer shut down. "Well," Mike remarked, "this doesn't give us much clue to where SPYDER's currently hiding at our old school. It just says that we won't be able to catch them and thwart their plans this time and they have some sort of new technology that we haven't created."

"Yes, it apparently doesn't," Cyrus said, "we better get going if we want to be able to catch them." He handed me a slick black suit with an empty utility belt clipped on it. (Erica had one from her one of her previous birthday's and was already wearing it) I grabbed the suit and hurried to the bathroom where I changed out of my clothes, which had garbage and other stains on it, and put on the black suit and clipped on the utility belt.

I walked out of the bathroom and when I walked back, I saw that Cyrus was testing out the cameras to see if they were working properly. I walked over and Cryrus handed me the camera and microphone and I clipped it onto my hair. I apparently had put it on funny as Cyrus grumbled and fixed it up until they were in the right place.

"Okay," Cyrus said, "Mike and Zoe, wait here for me until I get back from sending these two to the school." Cyrus signalled to us and we followed him until we reached a black car, which was camouflaged within the darkness. I doubt I would have seen it if it weren't for Cyrus pointing at it and walking toward it, gesturing to us to follow him into the car. I climbed into the car and it was completely covered in leather, most likely costing a decent amount of money.

By the time I had put on my seat belt and fastened it, Cyrus was already pulling out of the CIA headquarters and quickly driving towards my old school. I looked out the window and saw many of my favorite stores and restaurants I had constantly gone to with my parents before I was accepted into the CIA. I wasn't actually accepted as a spy, but actually as a bait to lure the mole out of spy school. I also was accepted as a decent bait as I had level 16 math and that made me seem as an extremely well hacker.

Suddenly, the car screeched to a halt and I jerked forward as well, my seat belt restraining me from bumping my head against the front seat. I looked to my left and saw Erica was already prying open the door, as slowly as possible, careful not to make much noise that would attract police officers or others that would report us for trespassing.

I climbed out of the car right behind her and once we were fully out, Cyrus handed us a device with a large red button covered in a plastic case and he explained to us that this was for emergency purposes only and that it was to be used if we were in any serious trouble.

After we were out of the car and knew the instructions clearly, Cyrus drove away. For a while, I stared at the black car before it became impossible to make out in the dark night. When I jolted back into reality by Erica, shaking me and telling me to start focusing on the mission, I saw that the front door's lock of my previous school had been already picked, presumably Erica, and that the door was pried wide open.

I asked stupidly, "did you pick that lock?" I certainly already knew that she did it, as she was the best spy in the whole school by far, but it just slipped out of my mouth.

Surprisingly, she actually admitted she didn't. The lock had already been broken and had fallen onto the ground. This didn't mean anything significant as the lock on the school door, any well trained criminal could have picked it or just shot at it and it would have just broken. But, to be cautious, I stayed alert for any potential ambushes or traps SPYDER might have set up.

As I followed Erica into the school, I noticed that there were still burnt pieces of furniture near the main entrance but most of them were either taken away as they were well beyond repair or just waiting to be repaired in the next few days. I soon found myself in the cafeteria where a year ago, I pretty much beat up Dirk the Jerk in front of the whole school at lunch; even some of the teachers were cheering. (Joshua had finished up the rest of his goons although everyone believed it to be me who had knocked them unconscious)

I watched Erica as she looked under tables and scanned through the cafeteria. Nothing suspicious was found and we moved onto the next room, which happened to be the chemistry room.

A few months ago, Catherine, Erica's mother, Mike and I had used the equipment to reveal the letters on George Washington's letter to Elias Hale, and we accidentally bumped into Elizabeth Pasternak and her girlfriends, Chloe and Kate, who from the last encounter, had finally realized I had existed and unsuccessfully flirted with me, until Catherine knocked them out with chloroform to stop bothering us and so we escape from the police who were chasing us down at the moment.

Suddenly, as I was reminiscing about my previous missions, I felt a sharp pain on my head and soon, but not before I could get a glimpse of Erica also getting punched by a dark silhouette, presumably a SPYDER operative, everything went black and I collapsed onto the ground.