13

Even though I think I'm a very good actor, I think Cameron surpasses me by a long shot. To anyone else he'd seem like he has it all. He's funny, and outgoing, and perfect at football, but they don't know him like I do. They didn't see the little kid from middle school that had to watch his mom pass. They didn't see his dad walk out on him to try and escape the pain himself, going on business trips every chance he got, leaving Cameron to deal with the pain alone.

As I pull into the graveyard, I see Cameron's busted jeep in its usual spot. He's sitting in front of his mothers grave with his head in his hands, and suddenly I find my anxiety evaporating.

I could have it far worse. Sure, my dad is cheating on my mom, and sure, my chance at being with Maya is still a fantasy, but at least they're all still here. At least I have my family and Cameron, and even if I'll never be able to have Maya, at least she'll still be around as long as her and Maddie remain friends. Seeing my best friend like this definitely puts things in perspective for me.

I'll never forget the night his mom passed. She has chosen to stop the chemo since she was already in stage four breast cancer. She had no symptoms prior to the scan, and after battling for a few months she finally decided to just remain at home and let herself go naturally. Cameron begged and pleaded his mom to fight, but she was tired. She didn't have any fight left in her.

That night Cameron and I were watching a movie, and his dad came into the bedroom. He had that look on his face that nobody ever wants to see from a parent. His eyes were bloodshot, his bottom lip trembling, and no words even needed to be spoken. We all knew it was going to happen at some point, and Cameron seemed like he accepted that she was giving up after awhile, but the night he saw his fathers face, he suddenly changed his mind.

"No." He choked out, and he remained rooted to the bed, his body frozen in place. "It can't be already. She has more time. She can fight still, can't she?"

"Cameron." His father sighed, wiping away a tear that fell onto his cheek. "It's time, son."

I've never seen Cameron cry, but he broke down into hysterics. He was practically convulsing, and I had no idea what to do. All I could muster up was to put my hand on his shoulder, and I don't even know if that helped, but he didn't tell me to take it off.

After a few minutes his dad asked me to go home, and I'm not sure what was said between Cameron and his mom when he said goodbye, but what I do know is that everything seemed to change after that night. He was colder, meaner, and his once bright and goofy self faded when we started freshman year.

He took his anger out in football, and it definitely seemed to help him make the team. Rather than coming to my house all the time, he lived in the gym everyday after school. For a few months he barely spoke to me outside of practice, but eventually after his dad started going on business trips he started to get lonely, and he wound up showing at my house one night, his eyes red and face puffy. I never asked him what happened, instead I just opened up the door wider for him to come in, and then my mom made soup.

Now it's become a routine. Whenever his dad comes home Cameron normally winds up here, and then I'll come and get him, and then we'll go back to my house and eat my moms soup. Truthfully I'm surprised she's making it still since she found out my dad is cheating on her, but, then again, maybe she's where I get the acting trait from.

Letting out a loud sigh, I shut the door to my truck and head towards him. He doesn't turn around to look at me as I approach, and it's not until I sink down beside him that I realize he's crying.

"Figured you'd be here." I say cautiously. My hand goes to his shoulder to try and wait it out with him, my heart aching from seeing my best friend in so much pain. A part of me wants to break down and cry too, but my problems aren't a fraction of his. He's got much more to worry about than I do. Crying about my problems seems stupid at this point.

"Sorry." He mutters. "My dad's just a dick."

"No need to apologize." I reassure him. "Maddie came home and said she saw his car in the driveway on her way back from Maya's. You weren't answering your phone, so I pieced two and two together and my mom made your favorite in preparation. Chicken noodle soup."

Almost as if that was exactly what he needed to hear, he sends me a smile and stands up from the ground, wiping away the remainder of his tears from his cheeks before we start to head back to our cars.

"You're a really good friend, you know that?" He props open his door and grips it firmly with his hand. "Seriously, Ethan. Thanks."

He's more sentimental than ever tonight. Normally we don't talk about the fact that he's emotional and upset about his mom. I just put my hand on his shoulder until it's over with and that's usually it.

"It's what I'm here for." I tell him, but suddenly he narrows his eyes, glancing me over from head to toe.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

I feel like I'm made of glass in this moment — like all of my problems are sprawled out right in front of him. I don't want to bother him with these petty issues when he's got so much stress already. They aren't even that big of a deal. It's fine, and eventually things will work themselves out. Nobody needs to know.

"Yeah." I reply, taking out my car keys from my sweatshirt pocket. "Let's just head back to the house."

A/N:

Uggghhhh this was such a sad chapter to write.

What did you guys think?

I love their friendship so much.

Ethan and Cameron 4ever.

Please comment & vote!!!

See you Thursday :)

Twitter: believeeexoxo
Instagram: deannafaison_
TikTok: authordeannafaison