19

I feel like I'm going to be sick as I pull up in front of Maya's house. I've never been so nervous before, and I hate that about myself. I wish I were like Cameron, confident and charming, but instead I'm messing with the strings of my hoodie, gulping loudly as I stare at her front door. Should I go to the door? This isn't technically a date, but it's the polite thing to do, right?

I'm going to be a gentleman, so I get out of the car and start to head down the gravel path. Maya lives in a trailer park, and I remember for the longest time that she refused to have my parents drop her off at home. She would have them park down the block where she could walk, but eventually Maddie found out the real reason, and we never dropped her off down the block again. My parents aren't judgmental. They'd never look down at her for where she lives.

Plus, even though she lives in a trailer park, her family has made it really nice. There's flowers lining up the pathway to the steps, tiny garden nomes and little fountains in the yard. They take good care of their home. She has no reason to be ashamed of it.

Before I'm able to walk up the steps, I see Maya walk around the back of the trailer, furrowing her eyebrows together when she sees me. "What are you doing?" She asks, quickly glancing back at the trailer. "My parents don't know I'm leaving. I had to sneak out."

"Oh." I nod, feeling like a complete idiot as I shove my hands into the pocket of my hoodie.

We walk quickly back to the truck, but then she laughs. "Were you walking to the front door to get me?"

I can't tell whether or not she's making fun of me, and when she goes to the passenger side of my truck I debate opening up the door for her too. Thankfully she makes the decision for me and opens it up herself to hop inside, not giving me the opportunity to do so even if I wanted to.

"You still didn't answer me." She notes when I shut the door behind me. We put our seatbelts on before I pull onto the road, and I can feel her eyes boring into my face. "Were you coming to the door?"

"Would it be a bad thing if I was?" I decide to ask, and that's when I see her cheeks turn a bright pink.

"No." Is all she says, fumbling with her fingertips on her lap. She's nervous too, and as I continue to drive, I admire how she looks, stealing glances whenever she isn't paying attention. Her hair is tied up into a high ponytail, two perfect ringlets hanging down to frame her face. Her nails are a baby pink, looking beautiful against that tan skin of hers. I'm tempted to grab onto one of her hands until she says, "You might want to stare at the road so that we don't crash since you're high and all."

I arch a brow up as she rolls her eyes. "It reeks of weed in here and your eyes are completely blood shot. Why do you smoke anyways? Does it help with the anxiety?"

"A lot, actually." I admit. "More than you'd think."

She nods, looking deep in thought until she eventually lets the subject go and leans over to turn on my radio. Maya has never been shy, so I wouldn't expect for her to ask first. I don't understand how she's not feeling the same way that I do right now, and I start to question everything. Maybe drunk words aren't sober thoughts. Maybe she genuinely doesn't feel that way about me. Maybe it's only me that feels like I'm going to upchuck all over my dashboard right now.

A random pop song blares through the speakers, thankfully interrupting this awful silence that's formed between us. I wasn't this god damn nervous the first time I took her out, so why am I being like this now?

I guess it's because I kissed her. The sexual tension is so high that it's almost unbearable. She's wearing short shorts and a cropped sweater, that belly button ring shimmering whenever the sunlight hits it. Gripping the steering wheel tighter, I let out a frustrated sigh and stare back out at the road.