only us [treebros]

Connor didn't know how two tiny words could make him feel so whole. "I will."

Sweet, anxious, sensitive and caring Evan Hansen had agreed to be his boyfriend.

This had been the happiest he had been for years. Had it been possible, he would have long since ascended to float on cloud nine.

Evan's eyes were a mesmerizing ocean blue, and seeing his rare yet beautiful smile was always brightened Connor's day.

And oh god, did that boy have an endless basin of tree knowledge. Evan always thought his spontaneous tree facts (which sometimes lead to rambling) were annoying, but Connor found it endearing.

He could've continued daydreaming for forever, but a voice pulled him out of his thoughts.

"So, Hot Topic, you finally found the guts to ask Evan out?"

"Yes, Bath Bomb, and I'll have you know he agreed," Connor retorted.

"Of course he agreed, Sherlock. Are you blind to the looks he sends your way? Evan is head over heels for you, Murphy."

Connor had been a frozen lake for so long; uncared for, bullied and gawked at. Yet with the reassurance Jared provided, he felt some of the ice within melting.

He adored Evan and everything about him. Connor loved him for who he was; he embraced his boyfriend's flaws, and he wanted Evan to know that.

"And," Jared added, after observing the sweet smile that had spread across Connor's face, "it seems you care for him a great deal as well. I'll support you both in any way I can, but there's a catch."

Of course there was a catch. Anything to do with Kleinman has a catch.

The boy's voice lowered, tone sharp as steel. "If I ever hear that you hurt him... you are fucked. Do you hear me?"

Despite his usual arrogance, it was clear to Connor that Jared wasn't joking this time.

"Evan is fragile, so you'd better take good care of him. If me, Zoe or Alana ever catch wind that you hurt him, you are so dead."

"I would never hurt him, Jared," Connor said softly. "I could never put him through that heartache."

Seemingly satisfied, Jared nodded. "Alright. He's coming, so I'm leaving. Keep this little chat in mind, Murphy. He deserves the best."

"Hey Con," Evan greeted shyly, rose tinging his cheeks. "Ready for the orchard trip?"

Connor's eyes twinkled. "Of course."

"I-It'll just be us, right?"

"It'll be us," Connor confirmed. "And only us."