secret santa - part 1 [treebros]

hi! this author is now back from the dead :D school has taken up so much of my time i cannot with it anymore, winter break could not come faster. anyhow, in celebration of nearly-christmas, here's a fluffy one-shot i've written ^^

enjoy!

Christmas is Connor's favorite holiday. There just was something so calming, so therapeutic in watching thousands of snowflakes flutter from the sky.

Calm. That was the exact opposite of his family life. He could watch the snow fall for forever.

You couldn't really blame him, could you? Snow had its own mesmerizing beauty Connor couldn't help but love.

Christmas was also a holiday for gifting, which meant their friend group's annual Secret Santa event was on once again.

Much as he enjoyed taking part, it also was a major cause of headache.

He prayed to all living deities that he would never pull Jared's name from the paper bag ever again.

That boy was more chaotic than Connor even was: Jared had asked for a very (inexistent) elaborate prank kit that probably cost more than his existence did. 

How so very Jared

What the fuck. He'd gotten a single black shirt with "I'm Jewish & I never shut up with the 420 jokes" scrawled on it instead.

Shitty wishlists were one thing, and having to come up with one was even worse.

Well, Connor would just have to wait until after lunch to walk to Evan's house, where the draw of names would take place.

***

Two hours seemed like an eternity, but he finally found himself at the Hansen's front door at 1:30 pm.

"Hey, Connor!" A cheerful Heidi greeted him. "Evan's just inside, come on in, it's cold out there. Hot chocolate?"

He accepted graciously, then went to find Evan.

"Hey Connor," the blond grinned. "You excited for name drawing?"

Connor's nose scrunched up in a grimace. "Not particularly. If I draw Kleinman's name again I will rage quit."

Evan rolled his eyes at his friend's theatrics. "Yeah right," he retorted. "We all know you're a softie inside."

Connor blushed, praying it would go unnoticed.

When everyone was present, Evan handed each person a light blue Post-It note. "You know the rules: write your name and three things you'd like. Budget is 20$."

Pencils began to scratch paper. Soon enough, everyone was done, and it was time for the big moment.

When it came to Connor's turn, he nervously grabbed a slip of paper from inside the container and in neat script, was written the following:

Evan's Wishlist
1. Pictures of the most amazing trees
2. Chocolate Assortment
3. 'Dear Ben Platt' Deluxe Album

To anyone on the outside looking in, Connor remained impassive. On the inside, though, he gave a wild cheer.

Time to surprise Evan with the best Christmas gift ever.