Chapter Fifty-five - You are not supposed to be here?!

Lando

When it got dark we decided to walk back to the car. We've been sitting by the water for a few hours just enjoying each other's company not saying much to each other. I love that we can just be silent with each other without it getting awkward.

When we're in the car again I start driving to the city. "So uhm... I have my own apartment nearby. Do you want to stay there, or do you want to go to a hotel?" I ask Vera. "I don't mind staying at your place if you're okay with it. It will probably be better than a hotel" she tells me. I smile and start driving to my place. "You should know that a friend of mine lives with me, but he won't mind. Are you okay with that?" "Yeah of course" she answers exciting. About an hour later we arrive at my place. I get the suitcases from the car and walk to the front door. I bring the suitcases inside and let Vera in. "Max are you home?" I yell. "Mate why are you home already and what the hell happened there" I hear him yelling back. "Just come to the living room" I yell back and grab Vera her hand and walk to the living room. "Want something to drink?" I ask Vera. "Water will be fine" I nod and walk to the kitchen.

Vera

"So, what's up" I hear someone say walking into the living room. "You're not Lando" he says after seeing me. I shake my head and see Lando walk back into the living room with three glasses of water. "This is Vera and Vera this is Max" Lando says while putting down the three glasses on the table. "I met Vera on the ski trip, and she is the girl from the pictures you probably saw" Lando adds to it. "Hi" I just say. "So, is she your girlfriend?" Max asks immediately and I feel myself getting a red face. "No, she is not, we're just friends" Lando answers and Max looks surprised at us. "Max is facetiming me; I'll be taking it upstairs if you don't mind" Lando says as I shake my head and he walks away.

I just stand there in the middle of the living room not knowing what to do. "Where do you live? Anywhere near here?" Max brakes the silence. "No, I live in the Netherlands" I answer him, and Max looks surprised at me. "Oh wow, didn't expect that" he says a bit laughing. "What do you do for a living?" he asks. I walk to the couch feeling a bit more comfortable now he is making a conversation. "I study building engineering" I answer his question. "That is cool." "And what about you, are you also a racing driver?" I ask him. "No, I used to drive in Formula 3, but I just have a gap year now to focus on myself. I make YouTube with him and stream on twitch. Just taking some time for myself" he tells me. "That is great."

"Just because I'm looking out for him, but you're not a crazy fan just after him right?" he asks me after a moment of silence, and I begin to laugh a bit. "No absolutely not, I didn't even know he was a racing driver until this morning to be honest. We met at a restaurant and at an après ski bar later and I didn't know him. I've never been into motorsport. I thought he was just some guy on vacation with a friend, so trust me when I say I'm not after him for his fame or something."

"But what about Max, you're both Dutch, didn't you know him?" he asks me still with a surprised look on his face. "Well, no, both Lynn and I didn't recognize him even though we have seen him on the news a few times. It wasn't until friends told us this morning and someone from Max' team came to us that he looked familiar. We're both not into motorsport so we didn't think about it. To us they're just Lando and Max, normal guys" I explain to Max, and he nods.

Lando

When I was walking back to the living room I could hear Max and Vera talking so I was happy they got along. I walked into the room and saw them siting on the couch. I walked over to where Vera was sitting and sit next to her. "Are you okay?" I asked her just to make sure and she nods. "How did it go with Max and Lynn?" she asks me. "Not great, Christian, Max' boss, wasn't happy with everything and banned them from having contact till at least the test days in March" I explain to Vera. She looks shocked at me. "You're kidding right?." "No unfortunately I'm not kidding" "Lynn will be devastated she can't have contact with him anymore. They made the decision to be exclusive together and I can see Max really makes her happy" Vera tells me. It takes everything in me to not tell Vera about the plan Max and I made, but I promised Max I would keep it a secret and let it be a surprise. "Yeah I know what you mean, Max is really happy because of Lynn too" I decide to tell her instead. "Shall we order food?" I decide to change the subject. Max and Vera both nod and we order some food. After dinner we decide to watch a movie and Vera cuddles up to me on the couch. I put my arm around her shoulder and pull her closer to me. She really is the best thing that happened to me in a long time and can't wait to spend more time with her and get to know her better. I feel Max looking at us, but I decide to ignore him.