O N E

September 1st, 1996

I was hanging off the side of the unmoving Hogwarts Express when I saw them. When Y/N made eye-contact with me, I yelled. "Hurry up, you morons!"

Pansy pushed past me rudely, scoffing. "Don't get your dick in a knot."

I watched her walk down the corridor with a sassy movement in her walk. Pansy had always had the grace and elegance of a cat. A mean cat.

Y/N jogged forward and tossed her arms around my shoulders, pulling me in for a tight hug. I hugged her back just as tightly. It was so difficult to get on with the summer without her. She's my person.

"How was your summer, Buckley?" She asked as she pulled away, nudging me with her elbow.

"Beyond shitty!" I huffed. "I knew no one in that Muggle town! I can't believe my parents forced me to go there. Anyways, enough about me. How was your summer?"

She shot me a dark look. "I spent the summer in my bedroom. You know Pansy's room is beside mine. She was always bringing boys home and shagging them! I could hear it all night!"

"That bloody sucks." I snorted, not supressing my grin. I knew she had missed me, too. I could see it.

We walked into our train compartment that the rest of our small group was occupying; Blaise, Pansy, Daisy, and Malfoy.

I couldn't help but noticed that everyone had looked older since I had last saw them. I suppose we are. We're all sixteen.

Blaise rested his head on the window, looking tired; Pansy was batting her eyes at Malfoy, who looked more tense than usual; and Daisy was smiling her bright smile at Y/N and I as we made our way into the carriage and shut the door.

Y/N sat next to Daisy, giving her a small hug before turning to look at me, who was sitting next to Pansy.

In truth, Pansy was not that bad. Well, to me. She was not that bad to me. She was awful to Y/N and I hated that.

So when Y/N made eye-contact with me, I fake gagged and tried to look disgusted to be near her sister.

I'm pretty sure I was the only one who noticed Malfoy's head quirk up at the sound of Y/N's laughter. He looked up to see her looking at me and then went back to moping.

Daisy flicked her blonde hair over her shoulder and asked. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing," Y/N's laughter faded slightly. "Buckley's just acting like a twat again."

"Hey!" I swatted the air, not aiming for her and also trying to seem offended.

She stuck her tongue out playfully. "You arse."

When we had calmed down, our compartment was quiet. Some would say unusually quiet, but we all had to get up early and we're normally like this in the mornings. I didn't pay attention to most of the conversation. I did contribute to some playful flirting and gossiping, but I was burnt out already. My social battery had been low all summer and I needed it to recharge before the school year actually got here.

People depended on me.

I played it off so that I would be considered good, but I could tell something was off with Y/N and I didn't know what it was. She looked down, always tugging at her sleeves and shooting uncertain glances at Malfoy, who was acting more glum then all of us.

But to be honest, he's the prick of the group and I care more about Y/N.

As soon as we got onto the carriages, I leaned towards Y/N's ear while the rest of the group was engaged in conversation.