boba - sugawara koushi (haikyuu)

synopsis: after school, you head towards your tram stop, but just miss your tram, and because the next one is in 30 minutes (because of a public transport delay) you decide to get boba at Velvetea (or whatever boba shop you wanna go to) with sugawara. by now you guys are dating btw :)

tags: boba!, fluff, you have a bad day and koushi cheers u up, established relationship, alternate universe - karasuno is in the suburbs/city, written in first person pov

"You've gotta be kidding me." I huffed, panting as I watched the tram zoom past me. I had run all that way for nothing — just to get stuck behind the crossing lights, missing my tram home by only seconds.

"Jesus, are you ok?" Asked a familiar voice from behind me. I whipped around to see Koushi, hands in pockets, head cocked to the side as he stared at my ragged appearance.

"Koushi?" I asked, breathing heavily. "I thought your school ended at 3:30? It's only 3pm now?"

"I had a free last period and didn't feel like studying. So I left early." He shrugged. "Why were you running? Did we miss our tram?"

"Yeah." I sighed, looping my arm around his and resting my head on his shoulder, closing my eyes for a brief respite.

"Seriously? That sucks." He groaned, giving me a soft kiss to my temple before checking his phone. "The next one is in...oh my god, it's gonna be another 30 minutes."

"Huh?" I blinked, opening my eyes and lifting my head from his shoulder.

"Yeah, another 30 minutes of waiting at the tram stop." He sighed, but suddenly perks his head up at me, a glint in his eye. "Unless..."

I knew that look. Whenever he gave me that look, the one where it looked like there were stars gracing his eyes, I knew whatever followed was going to be good.

"Unless...?" I asked.

"Impromptu mini-date!" He excitedly proposed. "We can go get boba at Velvetea and chill in the upstairs sitting area! Nothing's bad when you've got boba."

I stared at him, my eyes exhausted and limbs aching.

"You always know exactly what to say to make me feel better." I mumbled, resting my head on his shoulder again. "Even though I'm feeling like shit from running on 5 hours of sleep."

"Oh my god, Y/N are you ok??" He asked, head turning to me worriedly.

"Yeah." I chuckled softly. "Just had to cram study for a test I completely forgot about."

"Awh, maybe we shouldn't get boba then. I don't want to make you even more tired." He said, using his free hand to tuck some of my hair behind my ear. "Also, if that's the case, we should definitely do more study dates. I don't want you being sleep-deprived all the time."

"Yes to the study dates. But no, we definitely need to go get boba." I decided. "Nothing's bad when you've got boba."

He laughed. "You good with Velvetea? I really just wanna sit in their upstairs lounge."

"Let's go. Their lounge really does makes up for the overpriced boba." I say as Koushi laughs again.

As the crossing lights flashed green, we began to walk, arm in arm. Koushi really always managed to make my day better, even if I was running on 2 cups of coffee and barely any sleep.

"I'll have a crème brûlée milk tea with brown sugar pearls. 75% sugar, and could I get that hot please?" I asked.

The cashier nodded, noting down my order before turning to Koushi.

"Are you two ordering together?"

"No-" I said, beginning to pull my wallet out from my pocket. Koushi's hand suddenly held my wrist, stopping me.

"-Yep! Could I get an uji matcha latte please? Also hot." He finished, taking out his wallet before I could stop him.

"Koushi-" I began, protesting.

"Nope. Nuh-uh. Don't even try to pay." He shook his head, tapping his card into the debit machine. "It's the least I can do for you, after your day."

"Go on." He continued, nudging me. "I'll meet you upstairs with our drinks. Go get comfortable."

"If you're paying, I'll get us our drinks." I said, sticking my tongue out at him. "Or else it's not fair on you."

"...You're so stubborn." He sighed, giving me a kiss on my temple before turning.

"That's what you love about me!" I yelled after him, giggling slightly.

I gazed at him as he walked upstairs to the lounge, overwhelming feelings of gratitude and love flowing through me.

As he left, the cashier walked over, sealing our drinks before giving me a knowing look.

"He's a keeper." She whistled, handing me a bottle of warm boba and a steaming cup of matcha. "Have a great day, you two!"

authors note:
where can i find myself a man like this😔

date written: sometime around may 2022
word count: 797 words