Chapter Thirty-nine.

Warning: this chapter contains light smut.

'Sweet Jesus it's hot.'

I utter in an exasperated gasp. I dread to think what the temperature will be when the sun is out and the sky is blue. My skin is already coated in a thin sheen of sweat as we step off of the plane. It's nearing ten pm local time and the sun has just settled behind the city, remains of dusted golds and burnt orange littering the sky. I'm tugging the thin jumper off of my body as we walk down the planes steps and throwing it over my shoulder. The air is humid, it feels as though my lungs aren't working and the oxygen is too thick for its own good. But I'd be lying if I said I don't love the feeling of the warmth drowning my body right now.

A hand slips into mine, dragging my attention to the looming man at my side. His lips tug into a small smile and his eyes search within mine for any discomfort.

'You okay?'

He asks with sincerity. My heart beats a few extra thumps as his voice fills my ears and I let out a genuine nod. He stares at me for a second too long before we walk towards the awaiting vehicles. I don't miss the fact that there are three and not two, angling my head up to Adriano's as I watch Franky, Enzo and Marco traipse off to the second car instead of the first.

'Are they not coming with us?'

I ask, curiosity in my voice. Adriano shakes his head, hand wrapping around the passenger side door handle as he tugs it open for me. I slip into the seat, my hand instantly reaching for the air conditioning button as Adriano slinks around the car and drops into the drivers side chair beside me.

'I told them to have a couple days off to go see their friends and family before we go into this.'

He muses, spreading his legs in the chair and running a hand down his face before swiping back his thick, dark hair.

'Truthfully, I don't know if this'll be the last chance they get to see the people they love. Nothing is guaranteed on this mission, you know that, right Amelia? Anything can happen.'

He's looking at me now, worry etched onto his face. He looks beyond stressed. As if the events that have unfolded are only just catching up to him and the severity of our situation is starting to chip away at his chilled facade.

'I know, I'm willing to take that risk though. We haven't come all this way and suffered as much as we have just to back out now, have we?'

I respond, a gentle smile stretching my lips. He nods once, then twice in agreement as he turns the key in the ignition and leaves the landing strip in search of the roads. I watch as the other guys' car gets smaller in the mirror, and the vehicle carrying our luggage follows in tow.

'What about you? You don't want to go see any family or friends? I'll be more than fine by myself if that's what you're worried about.'

I ask as I watch the town come into view. But Adriano only chuckles, crinkles by his eyes forming. I snatch my eyes away from the window and turn to face him.

'What?'

I question.

'You've met all my friends and family, Cherry. There's no one left here for me to visit.'

My eyebrows pull together as I process his words before it clicks in my head. My chest deflates and my heart feels as though it's being stabbed a thousand times at the thought of Adriano having no blood relatives or friends here like the other guys do. I reach my hand over to the centre console where Adriano's hand rests. My fingers thread through his, squeezing once then twice.