i.2 |The Dragon's Call

"Oh, I bet you're loving this," Merlin laughed as Elara hurled a large rotten tomato at him. It exploded on impact, its juicy contents now soaking his ebony-coloured hair.

"Oh dear God  Elara, how can someone so small, throw so hard?" a cheeky grin appeared on his face, which only earned him another tomato.

Luckily, Gaius had pulled a few strings within the court which had allowed Merlin to be released from the dungeons the next morning...but with one small catch.

He squirmed in discomfort as children had gathered around him, each propelling an array of rotten vegetables. He stood with his back arched forwards, his head and arms restrained in the holes within the wooden stocks.

The occasional vegetable would hit him in the face as he tried to speak, which only made Elara laugh louder.

She walked over to Merlin and began picking the large chunks of tomato out of his ebony hair as the local children had momentarily left to get more vegetables.

As he spat out a small bit of tomato which had made its way into its mouth, a girl approached the pair.

She wore a soft pink dress that reached the ground with white trim and a red cloak draped around her shoulders. Her chestnut brown hair was tied neatly in a messy bun, with two curly strands hanging down on either side of her face.

"I'm Guinevere, but most people call me Gwen," she introduced herself with a smile, "I'm the Lady Morgana's maid."

"Nice to meet you," Elara smiled at her, "I'm Elara and this is Merlin," she introduced them as she extended her hand which Gwen happily shook. Elara couldn't help but giggle softly as Merlin struggled to move his hand towards Gwen's.

"Although, most people just call me idiot," he corrected, turning his head briefly to look at Elara.

Gwen chuckled as he looked between the two, "no, no, I saw what you did, it was so brave," she assured him.

"It was stupid," Merlin admitted, which earnt him a wide smile from Elara.

"Well I'm glad that you walked away, you weren't going to beat him," Gwen added, making Elara giggle.

"Oh, I could beat him," Merlin defended, which earnt him sceptical glances from both girls.

"You think?" Gwen added, looking him up and down, "because you don't look like one of these big muscly kind of fellows."

"Ah, Gwen I like you already," she smiled, "nothing like telling a man he can't physically take on another."

"Thanks?" Merlin furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"No! No, I'm sure you're stronger than you look! It's just uh Arthur's one of these real rough tough save-the-world kind of men, and well...you don't look like that" Gwen fumbled, blushing in embarrassment. She had just insulted someone she had only just met.

Merlin suddenly looked around before beckoning them closer, "I'm in disguise," he smirked as both girls let our hearty laughs.

"Well, it's great you stood up to him," Gwen added.

"You think so?" Merlin inquired, letting the compliment go to his head.

"Arthur's a bully and everyone thought you were a real hero."

"See Elara, maybe I was right after all," he grinned.

"Oh no, Gwen what have you done," Elara laughed, "Ah, Merlin it looks like your fans are back."

Merlin's head dropped in despair as he prepared for the incoming barrage.

"Well, it was nice meeting you!" Gwen smiled as she began to walk towards the castle.