iv |The Poisoned Chalice

The castle was bustling with a newfound buzz due to the arrival of Lord Bayard of Mercia to Camelot. Like the rest of the servants, Elara was busy transporting goods around the castle.

In her arms, she carried a folded pile of blankets, which she was to take to the room of one of Lord Bayard's councillors. Just as she turned the corner of one of the castle's many corridors, she bumped into someone.

"Oh my goodness!" Elara gasped, as her blankets fell to the ground.

"My apologies," the servant girl quickly blurted as she hurried to flee from the accident, keeping her head down and her hands tucked inwards to her chest. Turning back to look at the girl, Elara noticed that she wore a long red and blue tattered servant's dress, with a deep blue turban atop her head. Clasped in her right hand, she held an ornate metal goblet.

***

That evening was the feast, held in honour of the presence of Lord Bayard.

"Well, they do say that in order to set trends, you have to take risks," Elara chuckled as she eyed Merlin's outfit up and down.

He wore a deep red cloak which bore the Pendragon crest and an enormously hideous red and green feathered hat, it's only positive being that it made him an extra foot taller.

Gwen also struggled to keep back her laughter as she stood next to the pair.

Merlin looked at Elara, forlorn, "not if the risk is looking stupid," he sighed, his eyes focused ahead in an attempt to maintain some dignity. Unfortunately for him though, his remark only earned quiet giggles from both girls.Merlin shook his head in denial as Arthur turned back to look at him for the fifth time, his lips framed in a small smirk.

Elara then noticed the presence of the serving girl she had bumped into earlier. She stood on the opposite side of the room, her eyes focused intently on Merlin.

Noticing her gaze, Merlin took off his hat and ruffled his hair.

"She's pretty, isn't she ... for a handmaiden," Gwen noticed their eye contact.

"She's pretty for a princess, let alone a handmaiden," Merlin defended.

The guests in the hall erupted in applause as Lord Bayard and King Uther finished signing the peace treaty papers, their handshake seeling the deal. As they did so, Gwen walked away from the pair to serve more guests, and then she stood next to Gaius.

As Uther returned to his seat at the head of the table, Lord Bayard addressed the guests;

"People of Camelot, for a great many years we have been mortal enemies, the blood of our men stains the ground from the walls of Camelot to the gates of Mercia. And though we remember those who have died, we must not allow any more to join them."

As he said this, a serving girl carried over a lavishly carved wooden box, which he reached inside and lifted out two goblets.

"As a symbol of our goodwill and of our newfound friendship, I present these ceremonial goblets to you, Uther, and to your son, Arthur, in the hope that our friendship may last."

"Merlin? I need to speak with you," the serving girl who had bumped into Elara before whispered in Merlin's ear.

"What is it?" he replied in the same low tone.

"Hey, I know you," Elara murmured, but the girl shot her a look of confusion.

"You don't look familiar," the girl dismissed rudely, as her eyes re-focused on Merlin.

"Not here please," she whispered, lightly grabbing his arm, "I don't know who else to tell."

Merlin turned to face Elara, "I'll be right back," he smiled, before the pair left the hall. Elara turned back around to listen to the remainder of Lord Bayard's speech.