v |Lancelot

"Well clearly your eyesight hasn't gotten any better, because that's not sage," Elara chuckled as Merlin ripped leaves off of a small yellow plant.

"Huh? Oh," he cleared his throat and let the leaves ride the morning breeze, "yeah I knew that, it just...looked pretty."

"Oh?" Elara raised an eyebrow at him, "is that so?" she sighed sarcastically, "and here I was thinking that I was better at picking herbs than you."

He raised his head and grinned cheekily, "don't be so sure about that, I have many skills that you are unaware of," he leaned down to examine a small purple flower before taking in its sweet aroma. But in typical Merlin fashion, a fit of sneezes followed as he inhaled the pollen.

"Yes, clearly," Elara tried to suppress her laughter, "well, I'll leave you to it then, 'Master  Merlin'," she mused as she turned on her heels and began to walk away, "I'm sure you don't need my help," she smirked, "you know, with all of your...skills."

His head snapped up as his mouth fell open, "What? No, I didn't mean leave!" he called after her.

"You mean you still need my help?" Elara turned back around to face him, as she struggled to fight back a grin, "but I thought you could tell what sage looks like? Hint, it's the colour of the grass around you."

He huffed and rose to his feet, "well," he began sheepishly, as he turned to look at her, "I suppose I could use some help."

"No, no, I'm sure you'll manage just fine on your own," she smirked as she bent down and continued to pick the mushrooms that Gaius had asked for.

"Wh- come on- Elara!" he whined, pouting as he threw his hands up in the air.

Just as she placed another mushroom in her basket, a loud screeching sound echoed in the distance. Looking over his shoulder, Merlin's eyes widened in shock, as he quickly stood up and ran over to Elara, pulling her to her feet.

"We have to go...now," he warned as the pair sprinted away from the source of the cry. Sparing a look over her shoulder, Elara stared in amazement as a large winged eagle-like creature galloped on four legs towards them at full speed.

As she pushed herself to run even faster, Merlin momentarily turned his head to glance at the creature, but tripped over his own two feet as he crashed to the ground. On his way down, his legs flailed outwards, catching between Elara's feet as she tripped over him.

Stumbling to the ground next to Merlin with a huff, the pair began to shuffle backward. But it was too late, the creature had caught up with them. As the beast stood on its hind feet, it screeched once more as it examined its next meal.

As Elara shut her eyes in terror, the sound of metal whooshing through the air startled them, as a young man advanced and attempted to drive the creature backwards.

"Run!" the boy yelled as his sword shattered against the creature's shoulder, the beast reared once more, threatening to devour them.

Scurrying to their feet, Merlin and Elara took after him, as the three of them sprinted through the forest's dense foliage. Merlin held Elara's arm with a tight grip as he made sure that she was in front of them, as they attempted to put distance between them and the creature.

Leaping over a large fallen tree trunk, they ducked behind its large form, as the beast, no longer able to see them, took off into the skies.

"It's gone," Merlin panted heavily as Elara turned to look at the boy who had saved them. He wore a sky blue t-shirt, with black pants and knee-high boots, his dark coffee hair was slicked back. Short black stubble occupied the sides of his face and above his lips.