Undercover Immortal

The fox felt something pull at his attention, a sensation that felt both familiar and foreign. His ear twitched towards where the strange energy seemed to be coming from and was about to turn around out of curiosity when Kant, the timber wolf, clapped him on the shoulder.

"You're a hoot, Kit! Are you this funny in sparring?" The wolf gave a crooked grin.

Kit's ears corrected themselves and he shook off the warm pull that had caught his attention, chiding himself for being so easily distracted.

He cracked a smile, forcing himself, with some level of disgust, to match the haughty expression of his comrade.

"Well, why don't we spar sometime and you can find out?"

"Oh-ho! That sounds like a challenge!"

The other two mobians, a rusty brown squirrel and a black and white raccoon, clapped his shoulders with their hands.

"Rookie wants a fight, eh?" the raccoon laughed, the squirrel joining in with some amused chuckles.

"Hey, I might be new here, but I've had plenty of experience elsewhere," Kit warned them playfully.

"Alright, then how about a sparring match tomorrow?" Kant grinned.

Kit's smile disappeared for a second, his feet shuffling nervously.

"Well, I'm not sure about that... I might be relocated again tomorrow."

Kant scoffed and the other two mobians groaned.

"C'mon, Kit, do you really move around that much? You only got here a couple weeks ago!"

"Hey, it's not my fault our superiors find my skills adaptable to all our locations," Kit said, smirking.

"Oh you're so full of yourself, Kit," the raccoon mumbled, rolling his eyes.

The squirrel looked at him curiously, "What kind of person do they move around so much? What kind of skills could possibly have you being relocated so much?"

Kit shrugged his shoulders with a sigh, "Sorry guys, top secret information there. And I'm pretty sure you don't have the clearance."

"Hardy har har," Kant replied sarcastically while the raccoon snorted his amusement.

Kant continued, "Fine. You're busy. How about tonight instead?"

This also caused Kit to pause, considering. He would have preferred to complete his mission in the evening and leave before lights out. He'd already been there for so long, he was looking forward to finally going back home...

I guess I could use another night to properly prepare... If I get too hasty, I might miss something, and that would only make things more dangerous for us down the road.

Trying not to show his reluctance, he shrugged. "Sure, why not?"

Kant grinned, his shining white canines flashing in the light as he slugged Kit in the shoulder.

"That's what I'm talking about! Let's hear it for Kit, finally stepping up and taking on an actual challenge!"

The two other Mobians hooted and cheered, turning some civilian eyes to them.

Kit laughed at their antics, joining in with the rowdy whooping as they continued back to base. But inside, the unruly antics only made him feel bitter.

~•~•~•~

Kit rotated his arm, stretching the sore limb as he walked through the long hallway that led to the living quarters. Sweat still coated his ruddy orange-brown fur, and he probably would have had some bruises if his body wasn't used to years of close combat.