Chapter Sixteen

I stood outside the door to the office afraid to even open the door. Could it be Akito? It had been a month since..since that night. I shivered again, took a deep breath and slid open the door. Sitting in the office chair, smoking a cigarette, legs crossed was Hatori. I breathed a sigh of relief, but why was he here? Hatori put out his cigarette and cleared his throat. "Akito wanted to come, but he's not feeling very well so I made him stay home." he started. Oh.. I thought as I ended up clasping my hands in front of me. HE really was supposed to come. "As you are aware, Kara, the banquet is coming up in a week. Akito wants you to be there wearing these." Hatori stood up and behind him I saw a boutique bag. He picked it up and handed it to me. "That is what he wants you to wear. And oh." he said, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a small, black box. "Akito wants you to wear this as well." I swallowed.

"I-I can't.." I stammered looking at the little box, knowing exactly what was in the box. "Ha'ri..no.." Hatori sighed. "Just do it, please ." Hatori said as he dropped the small box into the bag I was holding. Hatori, after all was just the messenger. As he walked by me I grabbed onto his sleeve tightly. "I'm scared.." I whispered feeling the tears well up in my eyes. "I know you are." he said quietly as he leaned over and kissed the top of my head. "I love Yuki. I love him so much that this is killing me!" The tears were now falling down my cheeks. "Erase my mind. Put me in the room. Make me just forget everything. Please Ha'ri!" I begged him. Hatori looked sadly at me. "I can't. Not without Akito's permission." He wiped the tears off my cheek. "I'm sorry." and with that he left.

I never did return to classes. Just quietly left the school. I needed out. I needed freedom. I felt suffocated. Next thing I knew I was standing by the lake. I stared out across the still, blue water watching the sun glimmering down upon it. I didn't realize how long I was there. I started to become chilly and it was starting to become dusk. Back at home I quietly slid in through the door. I could hear the laughter from Kyo and Yuki. Sounded like Momiji was around too. I took my shoes off and Tohru poked her head around. "Oh Kara! Welcome back!" she said warmly with a smile on her face. "Perfect time for dinner." I politely declined, telling her I ate already and ran up the stairs leaving Tohru confused.

Once I was in my room, I threw the bag against the wall. The boxed ring fell out of the bag. I picked up the box and sat on my bed and was about to open it when there was a knock on the door. "What." I said a bit harshly. Tohru came in carrying dinner on a tray. She placed it down and noticed the bag on the floor with the contents spilled out and the box on the bed. Tohru walked over to the contents in the bag and pulled them out. It was a beautiful, colorful kimono. "Oh wow Kara! This is so beautiful! And look!" she said pointing to the zodiac animals. "All of the zodiac animals are on here too!" Except for the cat, I thought to myself. "What's it for?" she asked. "New Years." I said flatly. Tohru perked up. "I love New Years! I love how mom and I would watch the first morning sunrise together! Maybe we could all do that here! Together!" I looked at her sadly.

"Everyone goes to the main house for the New Years..all the Sohmas.." I trailed off and looked away, but I felt Tohru reach out and grab my hand. I looked at her and she was smiling in a dreamy way. "What's it like Kara? The banquet I mean!" How could she be so excited about something most of the zodiac members dreaded. "Well..it's a three day thing. Food and glamorous dances by the new zodiac and the past zodiac." I looked down sadly. "Kyo..Kyo isn't allowed to go so we have to celebrate with the other Sohmas and they aren't so friendly when it comes to Kyo being the cat." Tohru became sad. I could see her sadness for just a second, then her eyes lit up and became excited, asking about what the dances were like, and what everyone wore. She asked who would be dancing this year. "Momiji will be this year." I said. "Kyo and I used to secretly watch the previous dancers. We'd sneak around like ninjas hoping to not get caught." I smiled at the memory and continued telling her about it.

After about an hour of explaining and making Tohru happy, I took the kimono she was still holding and hung it up in the closet. "A-are you really okay Kara?" I sighed and walked over to my bed and picked up the small box and handed it to her. She opened it and saw the ring. "Wow Kara! That's beautiful!" I just remained silent. "You should wear it with your kimono! It'll be so perfect!" I sighed. How could I possibly wear that ring..especially in front of Yuki? I looked at Tohru and gave her a small, fake smile. "We will see.." Was all I could say to her.