15. Your Wedding Day

Dear Sir,

Ah, the day I so dreaded to come is finally here.

My younger self would have bawled at this information that you are getting married today.

I know this day would come, that you would walk that aisle, and it would not be me who you are walking with. And I know how much it would hurt.

It does hurt. It does hurt for my younger self who dreamt of that moment with you. Half of her life, she wished and dreamt you would be her endgame.

When I found out that you were going to be married, it did not hurt much as I thought it would. Maybe because I found my own soulmate, someone I love so much and someone who matters to me the most. Nevertheless, it felt bizarre somehow. How, all my life, I hoped it would be you. It felt a betrayal to my younger self when it didn't hurt that much.

My younger self would be so heartbroken at this news. She rather wished that after all that's happpened, destiny would find a way for you to be together. There was a time in her life when she prayed earnestly that you would end up together. She religiously mentioned your name in her prayers, that God bring you two together in marriage.

And God never rejects someone's prayer. He knows above all that someone is better for her, the same way that someone is better for you. And today maybe is the answer to that prayer. Someone, is definitely better for you, and that someone is not me.

I pray you have a good and blessed marriage. I sincerely pray for your happiness, just like any good friend would.

We probably are not meant for each other. But in all this life's complicated ways, I am grateful to know you and be known by you. You are a good friend and a good person and I know, you will be a good husband to your wife.

This would not be my last letter to you, but it just feels right to write my feelings for this day. Treat this as a closure letter from that 10-year old kid who prayed that you would be together forever and walk that aisle together. She is heartbroken, for sure, but she is happy for you.

I am happy for you, Sir. I wish you all the best.

Sayonara.

Love,

Rosie.