prologue >> notes (3)

After Hiccup left, you felt like you were at one of your lowest points in life. You had thought that standing up for what you believed in had made the brunet boy leave so you became more quiet. There weren't many interactions with you, and being freshly released from your parents lecturing for a week straight made you more stand-offish. Mostly no one approach you, infamously known for the girl to be swinging at a stocky guy. There were a few that were brave but otherwise, everyone else avoided you during that time. Some others took advantage of this information, whether you liked it or not.

"What are you looking at, shorty?" a big Hawaiian loomed over you. You kept silent, regretting not paying attention to your surroundings. Maybe then, you wouldn't have bumped into the intimidating super senior, whether it was on purpose or not. "Hey, I'm talking to you." Your eyesight shifted from the ground to the large guy in front of you as he grabbed the collar of your shirt. You flinched when he shook you slightly and there was some spit that flew to your face. You resisted the urge to wipe your face and respond to him, not wanting to anger Mauí anymore.

Your eyes widen when you saw his head jerk forward from being whacked in the back of head by a stick. His eyes widen as well but in rage. Both you and Mauí turned slightly to see a slim figure with blinding white hair and a smug grin on his face. He tossed a pebble up and down into his hand. His blue eyes gleamed in mischief and trouble, someone who you would usually avoid. After getting suspended for a week, you were afraid of getting in trouble again.

"Hey, big guy," he called out without an ounce of fear, probably what the bully was used to hear when someone would attempt to stand up to him, "how's the weather up there? I wonder how nice it is if you're willing to share it with someone else."

Mauí instantly dropped you on your feet. You stumbled a bit, not expecting to land on the back of your heels from the light shove you received before the brute stared down the albino with his full attention. "What was that?" his words were slow in a threatening manner as his eyebrows furrowed into a glare with each word.

At this point, you took a few steps back quietly, only to froze in shock when the albino kid threw the pebble he was tossing around straight to Mauí's forehead. "You heard me," the poor soul taunted. The brute flinched in turn and growled after his shock wore off. His face began to turn more red in anger.

"Why, you," Mauí grunted as he gritted his teeth. He made a lunge to the suspecting teen and the albino dodged swiftly out of the way. Before the brute recovered, the smaller of the two bolted towards you, grabbing your wrist to tug you in the opposite direction.

"Run!"

He dragged you away from the angry Hawaiian, running around corner after corner to loose the senior. You had tried to keep up with him as your breathing became heavy. You and your mysterious hero turned the last corner to duck behind the garbage disposal that was tucked in a small alley on campus. Despite you needing to catch your breath, you quietly slowed it or held it for the duration of the heavy stomps to pass by. The albino had the same idea as he sucked in his breath and flinched when he heard the brute. The albino gritted his teeth, anxious to be unsuspecting. When Mauí passed by completely and no more stomping could be heard, you and the teen sighed in relief, collapsing onto the concrete and catching your breath more freely. Your lungs felt immediate relief upon taking deeper inhales. Your savior looked out for the coast to be clear after he caught his breath a bit more. He completely slacked against the wall and slid down on his rear when he saw no one in sight.

"Thanks," you breathed out when you felt your heart race slow down a bit.

He glanced towards you and you caught the same mischievous glint in his eyes. His eyes locked with yours as he smiled slightly, "So she does talk."

You stood on your feet and brushed off any dust. You sighed at the teasing, finally catching your breath, "The normal thing to say is 'you're welcome.'"

He grinned more upon hearing your answer, obviously satisfied getting a rile out of you. "It just makes it more interesting."

You rose an eyebrow in skepticism, but brushed off the remark and his entertainment. You rose a hand out in a helping manner. "[Name]," you stated as he looked at your hand in wonder.

For the first time since your encounter with him, he smiled genuinely and clapped his hand around yours in a grip. You pulled him to his feet as he had hopped in balance. His grip was still around your hand as he introduced himself.

"Jack."

Word Count: 861

Status: Slight Edit