prologue >> notes (2)

There was a boy who you met at the beginning of your first year. He didn't really stand out, and he was constantly picked on by those who surrounded him. At first, there was barely any conversation, but then after witnessing someone stealing his sandwich for lunch, you took it upon yourself to offer him yours. He was thankful, but he only wanted the apple that was packed in your lunch, adding along the lines that he didn't eat much anyways. From there, you hit it off with each other.

Hiccup Haddock was one of the sweetest people you've met, and a little on the short and lanky side. At first, he was timid, but once you got to know him a bit more, he acted more like himself. He was intuitive and strategic, easily handling any biological test and mathematical quizzes that hit you in your first year of high school. When you got together for a small study group, you struggled with the second language course class the most, but with Hiccup, he was able to pick up on its grammar swiftly and correct you on any mistakes. The only thing that bothered you was his sarcastic comments towards himself. You thought that was a part of his humor and personality at the start, but you recognized that it was a habit from when he was picked on.

He was still bullied while you two were friends. One day, after a milk carton was dunked on his auburn hair, making it matted against his skull, you were enraged at his melancholy behavior and finally decided that enough was enough. Snotlout was a stocky guy who was much shorter than you and didn't know when to shut up, so you weren't really afraid of him. You just didn't do anything with Hiccup's insisting until now. While the ink-haired boy walked away laughing his head off, you stood up and took aim with your own milk carton. There was a satisfying splat that came with the container as it splattered across his beanie and his shoulder, ultimately ruining his clothes for the day. He turned slowly in anger with the flush of his cheeks following suit. You quickly followed your throw with some apple sauce as that too splatted against his cheek.

"No, no," Hiccup muttered in panic, "What have you done?" His viridescent eyes were wide as he could only watch the scene unfold.

Snotlout swiped at his cheek and study the substance on his fingers before flicking it on the ground to be forgotten until either the janitor cleans it up or for some poor kid to slip on it. "Did you just throw applesauce at me?" he directed towards you as you clearly were the only one who was standing up.

"Well, you weren't answering to your name, Snot-face," you instigated but there was no trace of amusement from the insult you gave him. You crossed your arms in intimidation and tapped your fingers on your arms impatiently.

"Snotlout," he snarled, "it's Snotlout. Don't make me repeat myself."

You scoffed and rolled your eyes, "You just did, stupid."

"Listen, girl," he dragged out, trying to return the sardonic tone, "I don't usually hit girls, but I'll make an exception if you don't apologize and go back to sit with your dweeb friend, right now."

"Oh, please," you dismissed, "you don't scare me. Now, it's my turn to warn you; either stop bullying Hiccup or don't come anywhere near him again. If you don't, you'll have to deal with me."

He didn't back down and that's when you knew you had to do some damage to get your point across. It only took one hit to knock him down and for him to pass out on you. He didn't even manage to get close to you before a teacher heard the uproar and dispersed the crowd since the fight was over by the time they came. Let's just say that you both ended up at the principal's office afterwards with Snotlout getting a black eye. Both of your arms were crossed as you waited outside to decide the punishments for both parties. You were suspended for a week while Snotlout got detention for the same duration after the administration found out about his bullying to not only towards Hiccup but some others as well. In fact, you were going to be suspended—if not—close to expulsion if it wasn't for some students to convince them otherwise, that you were the only one who stood up against him since no one else would.

When you returned before the end of the semester, you saw less of Hiccup. You were surprise to see him hang out with, of all people, his old bully. Snotlout was still obnoxious but he is way more docile than he was before. Hiccup became more friendly with those that also involved themselves in his bullying, but they acted completely different. You found yourself distancing from Hiccup as you weren't comfortable with being around Snotlout. Your schedule completely changed for next semester to make sure you didn't have any classes with him, for Pete's sake. There was no way you would hang out with Snotlout outside of that. Hiccup eventually became one of them and stopped trying to reach out to you.

And you found yourself alone.

Word Count: 894

Status: Slight edit