one >> the dorky nerd

The recovery process is always the hardest part of any illness or damage to one's body, especially when you're in high school. You were considered lucky compared to others, only having a cold, but missing a week's worth of high school is never fun. Emailing teachers make-up work could only do so much. Mid-terms were around the corner when your body decided to collapse while getting ready for school. Your father, who was getting ready for work and a foot out the door, found you and rushed you to the emergency room. The E-R doctor didn't seemed as worried as your father when she had mentioned you just needed rest from the seasonal flu. You saw it as no big deal and tried to get ready for the usual, but your father, who worries everything about you, had you bedridden until you stopped coughing, completely. In all honesty, you felt better by the third day with a tickle in your throat remaining.

Thanks to that, you have to make up the hardest tests and projects. Modern technology made things easier for you to communicate to your groups and finish them virtually. The extra time to study was nice, but the anxiety of getting it over with was killing you. On top of that, one of your teachers had caused a bigger mental weight to your agenda. Mr. Wilson has a strict policy in his Calculus class: that if his students were "sick", they would have to accept a fat zero for daily assignments and any tests that were missed. Your mother, the angel on Earth that she is, had called Mr. Wilson and somehow convince him to allow you to take his test early upon your return.

After exiting your car, your phone buzzed in your pocket. It was one of your friends, asking whether you're on campus or not already. She was eager to meet up with you and you had agreed before closing your phone. You swung your shoulder bag on slightly and closed your driver door before locking it with a reassuring honk.

You had entered the campus through the entrance of the administration building since the on-campus gates were still closed being it too early for even security to open them. You entered another building after going through the first. That's when you had a glance of long, bright, blonde hair move as she turn to the sound of doors opening. Her green eyes lit up with familiarity and she gave you a bright smile.

"Hey! I got those notes like you wanted!"

"Thanks, Rapz. This will help me so much," you sighed with relief and smiled half-heartedly. You had glanced at her bright but organized notebook as she handed it to you. Something had slipped to stick out. Your hand covered the part of the book to slip back in and carefully slipped it in your book bag. "I'll be sure to give it back to you after I'm done with this stupid test."

"It's no problem, honestly," the blonde waved it off with a giggle, "Don't worry about it since you helped tutor me a lot, and knowing you, you'll return them to me before second period by the latest."

You shrugged off her comment while you and Rapunzel continued to walk the halls until you pushed through the doors to go outside again. Mr. Wilson's office was isolated in a separate building than his math class and instead was in his workshop for his construction as well as his other classes. You weren't in any of his hands-down classes, thank goodness; you heard he was just as bad as his one and only Calculus class. He was a genius, you had to admit, with his double major degree in mathematics and engineering. There was a part of you that looked up to him, but during times like these, you wouldn't mind him being humbled every once in a while.

You were just outside the door of the workshop when Rapunzel spoke up once more, "I'm amazed Mr. Wilson allowed you to take the test when you were absent. You must be his favorite student because I haven't seen him do that for anyone else."

You rolled your eyes from the exaggeration and shaking your head slightly. "That's because anyone who skips out on Mr. Wilson's tests aren't really sick when they say they are," you explained, "My mother had to contact him and somehow persuade him for me to retake the test."