number 5

"You ready?" You heard Hoseok ask through the door. 

"Yup." You say as you stand up from your bed and walk towards the door. On the other side you hear Hoseok move away from the door as you turn the knob, letting yourself out of the room. 

"Let's go." Hoseok says and you follow him out to the main room. He quickly zips up a black backpack before slinging it over his shoulder and looking back at you to nod his head towards the door. You follow him out the door and back down the ladder before you're both back in the pitch black tunnel. This time no chills run down your spine as you wait for Hoseok to light the lantern. Leading you through the tunnel you still flinch slightly at the consistent amount of bugs in the passageway. You forgot how long the tunnel really was until you were close to groaning at Hoseok about the length. You were about to speak when Hoseok announced, 

"We're here." He jumped and pushed the trapdoor open revealing light into the hole. Climbing out, you brushed the small bits of dirt off your shoulders. Hoseok jumped out, turning around to close the trapdoor and cover it back up with leaves. 

"That should be enough. Follow me." He began to walk. 

"Where are we going?" You ask, struggling to match his steady pace.   

"Just one of the near local towns. They'll hopefully have a bit of food and maybe some new clothes for you." Hoseok replies. 

"Mmm. Yes, new clothes sound good." You say. Your pajama set underneath your coat was probably due for a change if you were going to be staying out here for a bit. 

"How long have you guys been doing this?" You ask Hoseok. The zombie virus had entered Seoul first, almost a month ago. 

"Mmm...probably almost a three weeks now." You were expecting that. Jungkook had said that he had first been in Seoul before fleeing to Busan. It had been after that, that he got picked up. The numbers added up. 

"So have you just had to keep changing locations? Or...?" You drag on the 'or'.

"Yeah. Well, Jin and Namjoon found Jungkook and Jimin first in Busan, and they probably weren't expecting to have to move, but as the virus got worse they had to run to Daegu. That's where to picked up Yoongi and Tae. And then finally me. And now we're here because we had to move yet again." Hoseok finished the big sentence. 

"Yeah...I heard Namjoon saying we'll probably have to move again, won't we." 

Hoseok hesitated before saying, "Mhm. This spot has been my favorite so far, so it'll be sad to leave it." 

"Same I like this spot as well, even though I've only spent one night here. It's just got a nice feeling to it."

"Yeah, that's what I think to." Hoseok continued, "But the zombies are getting closer, so it'll be a matter of survival and death and I think we're all hoping for survival." He said, gravely. You both walked another ten minutes before you reached the side of a road. 

"A bit more and we'll be there. You're doing well." Hoseok updated. 

"Thanks." You say, "So, how'd the others find you?" You ask. 

"Well, I was in Gwangju with my family before we heard loud screams all around us. We knew what was happening and our immediate reaction was to run into the safest room in the house." He paused before continuing, "Not long after that, I realised we weren't safe in there and the zombies could easily get to us. I rushed everyone out, trying to find somewhere safer." He stopped. Unsure why he stopped you looked up at him. You could see he was holding back tears, making you feel sorry for him. 

He's blamed it all on himself. You thought. "It's not your fault Hoseok." You say, grabbing his hand and clasping it between yours. "You were just trying to keep everyone safe. You did nothing wrong." As tears began to fall down his face he looked at you. 

"But if I had never brought them out of the room? Had never dragged my sister out with us, claiming we needed somewhere safer? Had left them for a few seconds to look around?" Tears streamed fast now, self blame washing over him. 

"No, you did what you could. There was nothing else you could've done. We'll get them back Hoseok. I promise. Because I promised myself I would. Okay?" Hoseok just stared as you finished your sentence. 

"There's no cure y/n." Hoseok said, "No hope." 

"Don't say that. We WILL save them. Or I will even if all you guys disagree with me. I'm still gonna try, so are you gonna help me?" You stop walking, staring him straight in the eye. 

Eyes full of tears, Hoseok gives a sorrowful nod. You nod back, resuming the walk. He wipes away the tears, sniffling. Letting him bring himself together slowly, you walk in silence. After a while the sniffles stop and his serious expression is back on his face. 

"We're here." He says. In front of you now stands a small looking town with small houses and small shops. You walk in the middle of a street full of small shops on either side, scanning each shop as you walk. 

"Let's get you some new clothes before we pick up some groceries." Hoseok says, walking into a small clothes shop. "Just grab something appropriate for moving and being active in." He says. After looking through and scanning through a few racks you find a pair of trackpants, a top and a puffer jacket. "These should be fine." You say, rejoining Hoseok, holding up the clothes. 

"Okay. I think the changing rooms are at the back of the shop, I'll wait outside for you." He looks over your shoulder to the back of the shop, which sure enough is where the changing rooms are. You change, quickly looking at yourself in the mirror before being satisfied. Deciding you don't need your pajamas anymore you leave them in the changing rooms, only taking your coat. 

"Okay, let's go get food!" You say, walking out of the clothes shop, greeting Hoseok. He chuckles as you begin to walk again. "Here, this one." Hoseok says pointing at one of the shops to your left. It's a cream colored shop with one big window at the front and a slim door to the right. You follow Hoseok through the door and into the shop. "They've already evacuated." Hoseok says, leaving you to look through the aisles by yourself while he walks towards the freezer section at the back of the shop. 

"One of the few smart towns who choose to evacuate before it's too late." Hoseok says. "It seems like all the big cities that choose not too and the small ones that are actually smart." You nod in agreement. 

"Want one?" Hoseok asks, raising his eyebrows. You laugh when you look up to see him with a stick ice cream in his mouth and his hand holding the box out to you. "Sure, why not." You say reaching into the box and grabbing one. You open it pulling out the stick and licking the cold treat. You're both enjoying the ice creams when you hear a loud bang in the distance. Both your smiles drop as you turn towards the noise. 

"We gotta go." Hoseok says, shoving the rest of the ice cream in his mouth.