Behind his back

It would be an understatement to say Farkas wasn't happy with the burning of the Murmuring Mountains. He was furious, in fact. As prince, son of King Conri of Bloodbrook shouldn't he have some power over the events of the night? 

No - Rafal and his Queen were running things now. He didn't trust either of them. Not long after his stupid father had allied his stupid self with Rafal, the Murmuring Mountains had been contacted into allying with him. They had refused, and in response, Drago (a dragon)- a friend of his father's had been convinced to cross over to evil and burn the Murmuring Mountains. It had been ... a busy night. Drago was now sleeping where the palace of the Murmuring Mountains had once been - on the summit, overlooking the town. Tents had been put up as no one was sure how long they would be staying and Farkas was sulking in his new tiny home. 

He eventually huffed and stepped out into the dawn at one in the morning, probably. He saw the 'Queen' rummaging around in the wreckage, seemingly unbothered by the destruction. A wave of anger shot through his hormonal teenage body as he stomped over to her. 

" What are you doing?" He accused. 

She blinked up at him, stood up, and brushed herself off. " What's it to you?" 

" What's it to me?" He scoffed. " I'm the heir to Bloodbrook-" 

" And I'm the Queen of Evil."

He glared at her, clenched his fists. She raised an eyebrow. She looked so innocent, with fair blonde locks, emerald green eyes, a pretty face. Her velvet black cloak wrapped around her, her cheeks flushed from the heat that still radiated from the burning. Although, all she was was a shell. Hollow. Whatever that might of been human that was there was gone.

" I don't trust you." He spat. 

" You're fourteen. What do you know?" 

" I'm cleverer than I look." 

" I'm sure you are. If you'll excuse me." She trotted back down the hill and disappeared inside her tent. 

" I need a walk." He muttered to himself. 

He began walking down the mountain after getting some food lest he got hungry, clearing his mind, enjoying the cool breeze. The Murmuring Mountains certainly were different to any other mountain he'd been to. They were grassy and green while this one was rocky with red trees, grass scarce to be found. 

He was thinking about turning back after a while when he heard a cry of pain from off the path. "Is anyone there?" He called. 

Silence. 

He searched anyway, seeing no harm. He eventually emerged to a space with green grass, beside the edge of a cliff. A girl lay there looking up at him with wide eyes. Her hair was coppery but it was hard to tell as her hair was covered in ash. She was dirty, right down to under her fingernails. Her leg was twisted at a weird angle that made him want to wince and turn away. 

" Oh shit." He said. " From the Murmuring Mountains?"

" What do you think?" The girl snapped, her patience lost already. " Oh god. Help me!"

" Wait a minute. Who are you?" She accused, noticing his clean clothes and fresh face." Wait. Are you involved in this?"

He began to answer but she began scrambling away. " Leave me alone."

" Listen : I'm trying to help y-" Farkas began. 

She had backed away a good few metres, unaware of how close she was nearing to the cliff. She didn't falter, Farkas wishing he could say something, but his mouth refusing to speak, to say the words. She met his eyes, unknowing. He opened his mouth but it was too late. Her arms windmilled to no avail as she began to fall. He leapt towards her, grabbing her foot, dangling her like some bait over a lake. Farkas was a man wolf - he was strong! He couldn't let this wreck of a girl die. He pulled on her like she was a lifeline, until eventually she was back up. He panted, sweated, over her broken body. Her eyes were closed. A thought struck him - was she dead?

He checked her pulse. The slow steady beating of a heart. He sighed in relief - she's just unconscious. He felt so agitated that his father could allow innocent people to get hurt like this young girl - well, she looked about his age - who had done nothing wrong. Farkas couldn't leave her here to die but he couldn't bring her back either, at least be caught doing it... 

He decided to come back this afternoon and sneak her into his tent. Most would be sleeping by midday as everyone had been awake most of the night. He left her with the cheese and bread he had brought in case she was hungry when she woke up. He found a sharp rock and carved some words into the tree - wait for me. He lay her as faraway from the cliff edge as possible, gave her one last lingering look before hurrying off before someone noticed he had been gone a while. 

Farkas was all nerves as soon as he slipped back into his dusty tent. His fingers were clammed up, his face sweaty. Where to hide her...

In his measly tent, there were curtains that shrouded a bathroom. A small one, containing a sink and tub. His feet walked across rugs that had been laid down as a temporary carpet as he peeked his head inside the bathroom. Yes, it would be enough. As soon as he was sure everyone important was resting or sleeping he darted outside and ran down the path. A thought hit him - did he remember where she had been? Fear struck him. After lots of panicking around the area he had remembered she had been, he finally emerged into the clearing, could see the sudden drop down the mountain. He let out a sigh as he saw her where he had laid her. He checked her pulse - there was a heartbeat. Farkas sighed in relief before taking the uneaten food and hoisting her onto his shoulders. No way he could carry her all the way back as a human - but as a wolf? 

He transformed into a tough man-wolf and felt new found strength rushing through him - the girl felt light as an empty backpack now. 

Cautiously, Farkas made his way back to his tent without being seen. He lowered her body into the bathtub, her head lolling to the side, careful not to harm her broken leg. He transformed back into a human and let out a sigh. What to do next?