A snake in the shadows

Over hazelnut tea and fruit cake the next morning (Hester and Anadil had wanted some time to think before the inevitable discussion) Merlin and Hort retold their story - being kicked out of the Safe Haven, teleporting here via the celestium and losing Guinevere along the way. In turn, Hester and Anadil retold their own story - meeting Hazel, fighting the Snake, the fire on Murmuring Mountains. Merlin looked increasingly worried, scratching his beard. "Who is this girl exactly?"

" She's an exile." Hester replied carefully, casting Queen Jacinda a suspicious look.

"Hazel? Hazel Aldwyn? Ah yes. I know her."

"What you did was totally wrong." Anadil spat.

"I was trying to protect my people." Jacinda replied defensively. "Maybe it was wrong, but we can help each other now. I'm recruiting other Kingdoms, gathering an army. We already have Maidenvale, Shazabah, Foxwood, Pifflepaff Hill, Altazarra and Gillikin on our side."

"Will that be enough?"

"You tell me!"

Hester took Anadil's hand in hers, trying to calm her down. Anadil sighed, her fire cooling. 

Hort innocently cut himself another slice of fruitcake, not noticing the tension in the room. Hester's eyes settled on him. "You."

Hort looked up, almost spilling his cup of tea. "Who? Me?"

" Yes. Sophie has a soft spot for you and we can use it to our advantage."

" Yeah, I don't think that's gonna-"

From behind them the door to the hall opened. A girl sauntered in, darkly beautiful. Her brunette hair was silky smooth, a wave just past her shoulders. She was pale, her lips painted black, silver nail varnish and deep mascara. Her outfit was identical to Hester and Anadil's and only then did they realise it was Hazel. She looked like a different person without her wispy unwashed hair, tired eyes and rags. 

She shot Queen Jacinda a death stare and took the last seat, beside Hester and Anadil. "Hey guys." She greeted.

"How's Diego?"

" Recovering. He'll get better, which is a relief. I went to the Horse's Hoof last night and found the outfit and the message." She shrugged, sprawling out. 

" Merlin, Hort, Jacinda." Hester introduced.

" Hi," Hazel replied stiffly. 

"Your majesty?"

The party to see a lone guard at the hall's entrance, somewhat confused. 

" There's visitors. Prince Farkas and a strange girl."

" Let them in." Jacinda ordered. Turning to the rest of the group she whispered "This is an unexpected turn of events." 

Hester frowned, casting a look at Anadil. Already they had Jacinda, Merlin, Hort and Hazel in their discussion about the future and the war and now two more people were getting involved?

The doors burst open and a boy and a girl strided in. The boy was handsome with dark hair and eyes and pale skin. Hort recognised him as the Prince of Bloodbrook. There was something about the girl though. She had short coppery hair not past her shoulders, bright blue eyes and a dirty face and knees. However, she had a steely gaze, you couldn't help but not look away from - she was curious. 

" Your majesty." He nodded his head towards Jacinda. " My companion is Daphne Slayer and we both come from the Murmuring Mountains." He took a deep breath and told their story. Merlin looked increasingly concerned as the story went on, his brows knitted into a frown, his lips pursed. 

When he was done, there was silence as everyone processed the new information. " Well...that's very interesting." Jacinda said eventually. " You did a good job, girl." She nodded to Farkas's companion. "It's Daphne, your majesty." The girl said. 

" Daphne." The queen smiled. " I thank you for your service. You're very brave for a girl as young as you." 

Daphne smiled back politely. " We understand the war you're fighting, your majesty. Farkas and I can help." She revealed a powerful looking staff from behind her back. 

" A lost heirloom of Kings, found." Jacinda breathed. 

" We need a plan." Merlin cut in. Farkas and Daphne sat down and everyone leaned in to listen to what he had to say.

" The fight between good and evil is coming, we know that much. The problem is we can't kill Rafal unless Sophie destroys his ring which she won't. We've gone down this path before. The only option is to imprison them both." 

"Right," Daphne interjected. "They're both powerful sorcerers. How are we supposed to do that?"

"We're powerful too. Good can overcome Evil can't they?" Hester suggested. 

Merlin sighed. "If we're going to stand a chance, we'll need to start training the soldiers immediately. As well as ourselves."

He nodded to Daphne. "You have great power - you just need to learn how to use it."

Daphne nodded. "I'm prepared."

"Your majesty?" 

A guard strided through the hall, clutching a letter in his hand. "I have a letter for Hester?"

"That's me." Hester says, taking the letter. 

"What is it?" Hort asked, trying to sneak a look.

Hester frowned. " All it says is to come to Darling Street immediately and not to bring any companions."

"Sounds sketchy." Anadil offered. 

"Like a trap," Farkas added. 

Although Hester did strike it as strange, she was curious. Who would call for her? Maybe this was her chance to do something important, memorable for the party. Worth remembering. She searched Hazel's eyes, wondering what her opinion was. All she did was shrug. 

"I'll go." She said abruptly, squeezing Anadil's hand. "I'll be back in an hour, if that."

Avoiding people's looks and judgement, she strolled out of the hall and into the courtyard. The breeze flew in her hair, dawn on her shoulders. 

Her head was full with so many emotions ; her relationship with Anadil - love, an emotion she, a villain had never felt before ; the upcoming war and in the back of her head, the man or whoever he was, who had chased them, trying to kill them. After all, he had murdered a family at Old Maple way. 

The city had begun to awake by the time Hester made it to Darling Street. Shops had begun to open , fragrances of meat and fruits began to hit her nostrils. It was so pleasant, unaware. As if there was no danger. What scared Hester the most though, was the fact she felt fear for what was about to come. She, who was never afraid. 

As Hester turned onto Darling Street she was surprised. The name has made it seem lovely, good. Also, the fact that it was only ten minutes from the castle, yet so...rundown. 

An alley. 

It smelt of garbage and litter,and she could make out a dead end at the finish of street. There was nothing but stone walls and propaganda posters. 

"Hello? Is this a prank?" Her voice was edging on angry. 

She walked briskly down the alley, looking for any signs of something. Stupid, she berated herself. As if it would come to any good. As she was about to head back to the palace she felt a chill behind her. Movement. Sense.

She knew she wasn't alone. 

Hester bit down on her lip, ready for her demon to spring to life if need be. 

So when a hand clamped around her mouth, she realised she had underestimated how close they were. She couldn't even move as scims were circling around her body, deadly, threatening. 

"Hi." The Snake said.