Chapter 4: Shoganai

You enjoyed Heisuke's company walking to the place of Sannan's temporary stay

You enjoyed Heisuke's company walking to the place of Sannan's temporary stay. He had a very joyful aura that made you feel comfortable, even if he didn't say much at first. Moreover, when you kept on being silent, he was bold enough to talk at you first.

"For how long have you been here?" His azure blue eyes were looking you up and down, sparkling with curiosity.

"Weren't you there? As far as I remember, from the day your colleagues dropped me here... So basically from yesterday." You gave him a consoling smile. He did look like someone who needed to be teased every so often.

"N-no! I mean... That's not what I meant!" He laughed out a bit confounded. "Here as in Kyoto. You don't look like a local." He looked at you closely.

"Very smart," you replied rolling your eyes. "But yeah, you're right. I'm not from here. And I got here a few days ago."

"Got it." He nodded thoughtfully.

He must've been really deep in thought because when he finally spoke out, you were already in the place of your destination. He hesitated for a moment but let his mouth shut.

"We'll talk later," he said with a bright smile. "That'd be it. Sannan-san's surely waiting for you."

"That's what I'm afraid of," you sighed with a theatrically wide eyes, your fingers carefully touching the door to the cursed room. Ta-ta-taa.

"Well, he's not as scary as he looks..."

You raised your eyebrow skeptically. "Only scarier?"

The door were calmly slid from the inside. You almost fall over. A chill creeps up your spine.

In front of you stood the colonel who, despite his sympathetic smile, did not look anywhere near happy. His eyes screamed murder and blood. "Are you done or shall I wait?"

"Err..." You avert your eyes, awkward that now he heard it all. Talking behind someone's back when they were just next to you... Didn't feel okay at all. "Sannan-san, you know, we just..."

You made a gesture towards where Heisuke stood. However, it seemed he was no longer here.

You sighed silently. You could've predicted it'd be this. What a traitor he was. You've sworn to not let this crime slip.