Bargains

"Rick?" I asked hesitantly, walking up to the cell. I gasped as I took in my brothers haggard appearance. His hair was now shoulder length, and he had an unkempt beard. He looked rough. How long had he been here?

He met my eyes and did a double take. He blinked twice, shook his head, then seemingly deciding I wasn't a figment of his imagination, gasped.

"Addy? Is that really you?" He asked me, his voice rough and scratchy. It sounded like he hadn't had water in days. I hated to think about what he might have suffered in this place.

"Yes, Rick. It's me." I told him and he took in my appearance. He was probably noticing the difference in how I looked from three years ago. After all, I've grown quite a lot since I was 18.

"I can't believe it. What are you doing here?" He asked me and his gaze shifted to Jonathan and Evie. They'd been observing this interaction in confusion.

"I'm with them. These are my friends." I told him.

Evie's gaze flickered between my brother and I. "Is this your brother? You said his name was Rick, right?"

I nodded. "You look alike." She observed and I grinned. Rick and I both had golden brown hair, but his eyes were blue while mine were a hazel brown. Other than that, we had very similar features. We might have been able to pass for twins if he wasn't older.

Rick looked at Jonathan and I noticed Jonathan looked uneasy.

"Don't I know you?" Rick asked him and Jonathan gulped. "And whose the broad? Well, guess she's not a total loss." Rick remarking, glancing at Evie. I rolled my eyes at this. I could tell he thought Evie was quite pretty by that comment.

"Broad?" Evie asked, outraged. I guessed she hadn't encountered as many scoundrel men as I had if 'broad' was the worst thing she'd heard.

"How did this happen, Rick? How did you get thrown in here?" I questioned him. He looked troubled and sighed.

"I got into a bit of trouble. They threw me in here. That was three years ago." He said and I sighed. That was why he hadn't written.

All this time I'd thought he'd forgotten about me.

"I thought you left me behind, Rick." I said quietly, my voice betraying how very afraid of that I was.

When we were younger, I'd always relied on Rick to protect me. After Hamunaptra, I had to learn to protect myself.

Rick sighed and gave me an apologetic look. "I'm sorry, Addy." He told me as Jonathan walked closer to stand by me. He placed a hand on my shoulder and I glanced to him in surprise. I looked away as I saw Rick watching me.

"Sir, we found your puzzle box and we've come to ask you about it." Evie said, getting back to the point. Rick smirked at her assertiveness. "No, you came to ask me about Hamunaptra." He remarked.

"Have do you know about Hamunaptra?" Evie asked, placing her hat over her mouth in an effort to quiet their conversation.

"That's where I was when I found it." Rick told her, then peered beside me at Jonathan.

Jonathan removed his hand from my shoulder under Rick's gaze.

"Are you sure I don't know you?" He asked, with that look on his face I knew well. "I just have that face." Jonathan replied sheepishly. "Rick, don't—" I warned, but I was a little too late as Rick punched Jonathan right in the mouth.

"Jesus, Rick!" I said exasperatedly as Jonathan fell to the ground. I kneeled down to check on him. His eyes were closed and a mark was apparent close to his lips. He seemed unconscious and I figured there wasn't much I could do, so I stood up. Evie, not too concerned about his wellbeing, stepped right over him.