Goodbye

"Horus, there you are old boy!" Jonathan said happily as we hurriedly ran to the statue.
"Feel around for the secret compartment. Evie said there would be one containing the book of Amun-Ra." I reminded as Rick felt around the statue.

"Found it." Jonathan said, and Rick held his hand out. "Crowbar." I took out the crowbar and placed it in his hand. "We have some issues!" Ardeth said as he came rushing into the room. He had the machine gun from the plane still in his hands.

The four of us turned to the door where there was a loud growling.
The door burst open.

"Bloody hell!"
"What-"
"Oh my God, are those more-"
"More mummies, yeah."

Jonathan grabbed my hand and pulled me behind him. "Go find Evie." He said, as I gave him a disbelieving look. "You think I'm going to let you fight these things alone?" I asked him incredulously.

After all we'd been through, he should have known I'd never leave him. He turned to me then, as one of the mummies swung a sword at Rick. I stepped forward, as if to help, but Jonathan held me back.

"No. Addy, please. Evie needs your help. If something happens to us, you're her only hope." He said, stroking my cheek with his hand. I shook my head vehemently. "No. No. I won't leave you. I can't-" I said, my eyes spilling over with tears.

"I love you, Addy. Now go." Jonathan said and let go of my hands and pushed me towards the passageway. I turned back to see Jonathan fighting along with Ardeth and Rick against the mummies.

I felt as if someone had taken my heart and crushed it. It was all I could do to keep walking. What if that was goodbye?

I turned the corner and had a good view into the room. Evie was passed out ; her arms and legs chained to an altar. Beside her was a mummy, it was a woman. She was on the table beside Evie. I slid back out of view as Imhotep walked into the room; the little rat Beni was nowhere in sight. He'd probably ran as soon as Imhotep's back was turned.

I slipped into the room, trying to be as quiet as possible. Imhotep didn't even seem to notice as he was preparing for his ritual. I saw him touch the face of the woman mummy. "Anucksunamun." I heard him say, and I let out a gasp. I slid behind a statue and prayed he couldn't hear me. Anucksunamun? His girlfriend he wanted to resurrect? I wondered if she's been on that altar for 3,000 years.

I wanted to run across the room and attack Imhotep for all the suffering he'd put us through. Of course, if i did that, I'd be dead with a flick of his wrist. I noticed Evie start to stir awake. If only I could talk to her somehow. To let her know we were going to save her.

Imhotep walked off then, and I did something very reckless. As soon as I saw he was gone, I ran as fast as my feet would carry me. I reached Evie and started to try and wake her up. "Evie. Evie." I said repeatedly.

She awoke with a gasp, and met my eyes. "Addy." She breathed, tears glistening in her eyes. I smiled at her. "Let's get you out of here." I told her, and went to try and break the chains on her ankles. The chains were very thick, I doubted I could break them without a sword.

"What's wrong?" Evie asked me, seeing the look of concern on my face. "I need a sword. To break the chains." I told her and she groaned, snatching at the chains. "Where's Jon? And Rick?" Evie asked me and I looked away. I didn't want her to see my face. I couldn't bear to tell her that her brother and mine could be dead.

"Evie, I-" The words died on my tongue as a hard object hit me over the head. I fell to the floor, my knees buckling. I heard Evies scream of sadness as everything faded away.