5. Phantom(?)

He still remembers it like it was yesterday, but it was countless days ago

He still remembers it like it was yesterday, but it was countless days ago. His father's departure, his mother's sorrow, her tears... Rowing all the time. The silences. The bad atmosphere. All this ... poison. With immense labor and immense patience, his mother extricated from the long day the grain of pleasure: the business, this sun, this music, the rattle of the miniature cars, the ghost train diving between the grinning structures under the promenade, the sticks of Brighton rock, the paper sailors' caps...

He believe it was unfair that he had to carry the weight of his father passing on his, child at the time, shoulders. But what choice did he have? His mother was alone! They only had each other, everybody else left...

And here he was, a 20 years adult hiding in his study fearing the days to come. Too speechless, too inconceivable, unfathomable, and unspeakable. Next week was his death anniversary...

And, as a tragic reminder of that time of grief, there she was. Elisabeth, his childhood friend, one of the people who abandoned them sleeping deeply on his sofa next to his mother. He have seen roses damasked, red and white, but no such roses he seen in her cheeks. Soft lips, almost made him angry about how captivating he trough of her to be...

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. Why should he be different? Why should he overlook how she made him feel back then? And now. Last night was brilliant, they laugh, smiled and time stop almost like it was the good old days...

People always ask, Why does God allow suffering? Why does He allow a child bear burdens? A woman to cry?A good dog to die painfully? He ask himself as water drops fell on his bare body, he didn't even recall the daze that carried him to the shower inside his bedroom.

Instead of returning to work after getting dressed, he laid back on his bed, worn out and depressed. Felix's pessimistic views stopped him from recognizing the best in others.

" Mr.Graham," the devilish woman knocks on his door frame. Elisabeth never really like him. They really don't like each other; they always make a room feel so tense. " Good morning, Felix!"

He crack his neck but didn't bother to get up from his bed. He did study her with an observant eye.

" Did you sleep well last night, lady Backendri?"

" Yes, thank you. Your mother is still sleeping and I simply came to wish you, goodbye. The limo will take me back to my home. "

" Good, I shall see you at work. "

" Yes," and just like that she left, Felix shift in his bed. Looking at the numerous shadows dancing on his wall he forced his body up to reach the pocket in his tuxedo.

Place where he put the pin and smashed photo. A blend of feelings took over him, it was hate, misery, and an unusual yearning he never felt to that point. He didn't know what to do with those sensations, usually, he ignore them, focusing on his job, on his mother, but now, they feel like a ticking bomb blowing up.

_______

The road home was silent but far more enjoyable than she anticipated. She felt shitty for spending another day in that cursed estate but now, as they took off the wrenching in her stomach stopped.

Bad memories filled her vision as she enter the door, and she did her very best to not pour her eyes out in front of Miss De Vanily, she didn't deserve that. She remembers everything! The bullying, the tears the humiliation...

    How she begged her mother to not take her anymore. The only one to blame was her guilt because she allowed this guilt to take over. Could she be blamed? She couldn't control her impulses, she was so envious!

Now she was in her own apartment, after a healthy round of crying and sobbing into her pillow. She felt better, she let her soul out and pour it back in. She read about crying therapy but never trough of it as a real thing. She showered and changed into a pair of clean pajamas and underwear.

It's weird how in the shower all the troughs pour into your mind as your muscles relax. She wasn't even mad at Felix, she was just glad she slap some sense in him. Gods she wanted to hit him so bad! The adrenaline into her brain at that moment!

She was so pleased that she started having a happy dance through her living room until her eyes landed on something that made her almost piss herself. Somebody, or better said "something" dressed in purple with a cloak, a fan, and the worst case of cyanosis she had ever caught a glimpse of stood in her living room.

The door was locked when she enter to shower and she lived on the last floor of their apartment complex. Even if he was a burglar, how did he enter?

" H-How d-di-did you get in?" struggling to articulate her sentence she took a step back as the cloaked person grabbed her hand placing a kiss on the tip of her fingers.

" Through the chimney, ho ho ho!" he steps closer, and she took one step back.

" It's summer and I live in an apartment, we don't have chimneys-"

"Thou art more lovely and more temperate. And every fair from fair sometime declines, by chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd;
But thy eternal summer shall not fade,
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow'st"he talks over her shivering voice pressing her palm over his cheek.

" Shakespeare?" she gasps looking at the weird man (?) She was still frighted, but the words that came out of his mouth were bewitching.

"I cameth from the deep of mine own darkness to deliv'r thee the 'rgan yond pumps mine own blood."

" I have no idea what you just said but damn..."

" I yearn f'r thy loveth liketh a artist yearns to a landscape. I am h're to holidam mine own et'rnal loveth to thee."

" To me?" she pointed at herself with her index. She blush crimson.

"I shalt returneth at which hour the timeth fits and the foe shall beest gone through sw'rd and buckler. Feareth not, as i give you nay harmeth."

" Why did you enter my home then?" her eyes gleam in puzzlement," Who even are you?"

"Thee may calleth me Phantom Peacock, I shalt cameth to seeth thee again mine own belov'd," it covered its face with the fan before jumping out the window (?!)

" Are you crazy!?" a scream came from the deep of her lungs as she look down the window. The window wasn't on the balcony side, whoever this was and jumped there was nothing to stop the fall for at least 20 meters until the individual hit the concrete hard. He could have died!

But she saw no one down... No purple, no corpse, no human not even a cloth... Where was this man? How did he survive a direct fall?

" What the f*ck just happen?" she clutches herself into a small ball on the floor.

_______________________

Thank you all for reading! Don't forget to comment and 🌟!