x. 𝘮𝘢𝘥𝘦𝘺𝘦 𝘮𝘰𝘰𝘥𝘺

MADEYE MOODY

— ( chapter ten

( chapter ten. )

         The storm had blown itself out by the following morning, though the ceiling in the Great Hall was still gloomy; heavy clouds of pewter gray swirled overhead as Aurora and Atlas examined their new course schedules at breakfast. A few seats along, Cedric, Evelyn, Bia, and Selene were discussing magical methods of which people would age themselves and bluff their way into the Triwizard Tournament.

         "Today's not bad... outside first thing this morning," said Atlas, who was running his finger down the Monday column of his schedule. "Herbology with the Gryffindors, lucky me, and Transfiguration... damn it, we're still with the Ravenclaws..."

"Double Divination this afternoon," Aurora groaned, looking down. Divination was her least favorite subject, apart from Charms. Professor Trelawney kept predicting things Aurora wish she wouldn't, which she found extremely annoying.

"At least we have the lovely Evelyn with us now." grinned Atlas nudging the girl who looked only slightly anxious.

         "You should have given it up like me, shouldn't you?" said Hermione briskly as herself some toast. "Then you'd be doing something sensible like Arithmancy."

         "You're eating again, I notice," said Ron, watching Hermione adding liberal amounts of jam to her toast too.

         "I've decided there are better ways of making a stand about elf rights," said Hermione haughtily.

         "Yeah...and you were hungry," said Atlas, leaning forward with a grin.

         There was a sudden rustling noise above them, and a hundred owls came soaring through the open windows carrying the morning mail. Instinctively, Aurora looked up with dread, there was the flash of white-speckled black among the mass of brown and grey that she didn't want to see. The owls circled the tables, looking for the people to whom their letters and packages were addressed. A large tawny owl soared down to Neville Longbottom and deposited a parcel into his lap — Neville almost always forgot to pack something. On the other side of the Hall Draco Malfoy's eagle owl had landed on his shoulder, carrying what looked like his usual supply of sweets and cakes from home. Trying to ignore the sinking feeling of dread in her stomach, Aurora opened the letter from her grandmother with the usual careful hesitation. It simply stated Regulus had requested to have Aurora stay for the Easter holidays. He had also tried for Christmas but Catalina had turned him down due to an event that would take place as school.

         Her happiness at being able to see her uncle again lasted all the way across the sodden vegetable patch until they arrived in greenhouse three, but here she was distracted by Professor Sprout showing the class the ugliest plants Aurora had ever seen. Indeed, they looked less like plants than thick, black, giant slugs, protruding vertically out of the soil. Each was squirming slightly and had a number of large, shiny swellings upon it, which appeared to be full of liquid.