Chapter 29

April 14th, 2022 - 9:15 am

Mal's POV

The whole atmosphere was sad when I followed Morgana downstairs. Chloe and a guy (who I assume is her husband) are sitting at the kitchen table with her parents. Hayley was playing on her iPad. 

After I said good morning and everything, I headed over to the couch to sit with Hayley because Morgana told me I didn't have to stay if I didn't want to. 

"Hi Hayley." I said. 

"Hi Pugh." 

I laughed. "Pugh?" 

"Yeah. That's your name." She said. 

I just laughed, she looked at me funny then looked back down to her iPad. 

"Chloe? Can I take her outside and play soccer if she wants to?" I asked. 

"Yeah of course." 

"Does that sound like fun?" I turned to Hayley. 

"Yes it does Pugh." 

"You can call me Mal." 

"Okay, Mal. Where's my shoes mommy? I'm going outside with Mal." 

"They're by the door Hayley. Be good for Aunt Mal!" Chloe replied. 

"I will!" She said happily, running to get her shoes. "Can I call you that? Aunt Mal?" 

"Whatever you want." I smiled as she put them on. 

"Are you going to teach me how to be amazing at soccer?" 

"Well I think you'll have to go to your Aunt Morgana for that." 

"But you can teach me too." 

Morgana winked at me as I opened the back door and Hayley ran under my arm. 

There was a ball in the backyard that some of the girls from the team were using last night, so I just let her play with that. 

"Teach me how to play soccer like you!" She said when I passed her the ball. 

"Well, that's years and years of training. But we can practice the basic stuff first, because that's the only way you'll ever be as good as Aunt Morgana." 

"Okay!" 

Turns out she's the best 4 year old soccer player I've ever seen. She somehow has good ball control (for a 4 year old) and she seems to love it. She told me that her mom and Morgana play with her a lot. 

"You're my favorite coach." She told me. 

"Aww, thank you!" I said, getting on my knees to give her a hug. 

"Don't tell mommy or Aunt Morgana." 

"I won't." 

"Do you promise?" 

"Promise." 

Little kids are the best. 

----------

April 14th, 2022 - 11:00 am

Morgana's POV

I texted coach Vlatko and asked if my niece could come to camp today and watch a real practice, and he said of course. 

"Hayley! I have a surprise for you!" I said, walking out the back door to where her and Mal were playing soccer. They had been for the past 2 hours almost. 

"What's that?" She yelled, coming over to me. 

"How would you like it is..." I picked her up. "Would you like to come to practice today with Aunt Mal and and meet our soccer team?"