-Good Afternoon-

The afternoon sun crept gingerly across the sky like a pill bug stranded out at sea. Birdsong spread through the buttercream haze, the faint sound of a dog barking being the only other thing to break the silence between the breeze-blown trees and two boys laying in a scattered patch of shade together, as if they were all dozing off in each other's comfort.

"Hey Basil."
Sunny murmured softly, laying beside the now attentive flower boy.
"D.. Do you ever use your camera still?"

"Yeah, a little bit. Why do you ask?"

"Maybe sometime we could go take some pictures of that sunflower you grew. That way.. we could, I guess-"
Sunny seemed oddly nervous, for once
"...Each have a picture to keep with us.."

Basil paused, fingers fidgeting around some blades of grass as he kept his face low and in the shade of his sunhat. He could feel his heart racing and his face swathed in blush. Gingerly, the flower boy raised his eyes to the regularly solemn-faced love before him.
"I would quite like that, Sunny."

Sunny tilted his head into the soft, warm ground; smiling as he lay into his palms and elbow.
"Nice."

Basil twiddled with the grass a bit more, ducking his face under the cover of his sunhat again.
"You're quite- erm- nice..."
Was.. Was that right to say..?

Suddenly, a hand fell onto Basil's shoulder, causing him to flinch before feeling himself grow at ease. It traced the seams of his sweater vest up to his neck and face. Basil closed his eyes softly, a gentle smile melting into his core. What a delicate and flowery feeling, to share skin with someone like Sunny. 

It.. felt so different now. They had always been... admittedly quite intimate and close to each other even for best friends, but-..

Sunny's hand brushed against the side of Basil's face, running through loosely ruffled hair until he gripped the brim of Basil's sunhat and tilted it up. Sunny peaked down at Basil's face warmly, letting out a soft, hushed laugh as he gazed down at the soft skinned flower boy.
"Ah, so you ARE blushing.."

This WAS different. Very different..
Basil felt his heart skip a beat, peachy face deepening into pinky reds that broadcasted the flower boy's flustered confusion from being caught so off guard.
"I-..."

Their eyes felt fixated to one another.

"....I suppose I am blushing,,"
He smile, lips barely agape in a tender sort of confusion.
"...Aren't I, Sunny?"

Sunny tilted his head and lay back down, still staring into Basil's eyes with a certain expression Basil found himself enamored by.

"...You have a very beautiful face."
Basil mused breathlessly.

They regarded each other for a few moments. A few moments more- more until Basil froze and tilted his gaze away, clearing his throat and breaking the spell of the moment. Sunny slowly closed his eyes, his hand nudging around for a few seconds in the grass before it found Basil's.
"Thanks. You too."

Basil found himself lightly chuckling, an airy and honey sweet sound. Sunny was such a goof at these sorts of things sometimes..
"Thank you.."

Eh- He- Was Basil treating this like.. like an actual moment of..? ..Romance???  The thought muddled and meandered about in Sunny's thoughts, confusing him. Was it brash of him to assume he felt the same? That this moment was the same for the both of them? It.. It was difficult, knowing anything.
..This was difficult.
...Romance was hard.

"...Can we talk like this forever?"
Basil whispered, face pressed into the ground beside Sunny's. Sunny could feel the breath of his words against the side of his cheek.

"...Yes. I would.. I would quite like that."

———

"It just doesn't really make any sense. Why would someone blast one Tetris fansong for a solid 10 hours??"

"...Eh, most likely something to do with women that we don't understand. I mean, what would either of us know about girls?"
Sunny said with a shrug.

"..Sunny, you DO realize I'm transmasc, right..?"
Basil said, squinting with a sudden glittering sense of humor alight in his eyes as he tilted his head up to look at Sunny.

"Wait- Really?"

"H...How did you.. not know that..?"

"It just never really came up? I mean, you pass very well, and I suppose Polly always respected it."

"I've complained about periods and other stuff like that to you before-??"

"Yeah? I mean, some men get periods."

"...Yes, Sunny. Transmen and some intersex people do."

"..Oh... just them..?"

"...hOW DID YOU NOT REALIZE-??"

Sunny shrugged off the embarrassment edging onto his face, smiling a little.
"Not sure. Doesn't really make much of a difference to me anyways."

Basil felt the corners of his lips drop into a slight grimace. Ah. It wasn't like Sunny would date him or anything, so what did it matter? That.. That was what he meant, wasn't it? It didn't matter what gender Basil was, because no matter what he would never be interested in him. Was it too bold to assume things like that? To ever think they could be more than that?

"...Can I still think of you as pretty?"
Sunny half absentmindedly mumbled.

...Basil felt as though it WAS a rather bold claim. He was wrong..

"I mean... if you don't mind or like.. get dysphoria from it that is..?"

...Wasn't he..?

"I understand if-"

Basil pulled himself closer to Sunny, eyes burning with a distinctly curious regard as they stared at each other face to face.
"....Sunny. ..I want to kiss you."

...They stared. Motionless, for a few seconds. A hand eased onto the side of Basil's face, Basil clasping his own hand over Sunny's. Basil found himself glancing from Sunny's lips to his eyes as Sunny's gaze grew more focused.
"..Good."

Sunny leaned in, tightly wrapping his hands around the back of Basil's head to pull him in closer.

Their lips met, like delicate waterlilies barely lapped against each other in the sway of a colorfully drawn sea.

-end-