Chapter 2: A Perfect Dichotomy

II

II

Working together like clockwork in the night sky, the moon and stars glistened down upon the Scottish countryside. Their silver shine illuminated the crimson paint of the Hogwarts Express as it chugged closer and closer toward Hogsmeade Station.

Adjacent to the enchanted train advancing northward, there stood a hill spotted with dandelions which sloped down to a bramble-filled ditch, housing purple thistle and clumps of figwort. On the other side of the hill, hares and rabbits slinked out of their burrows. There were hedgerows interspersed with low walls made of miniature grey rocks, shielding the yellow stubble of freshly-cut cornfields. Foxes roamed about, too, taking full-advantage of the darkness to latch their claws into unassuming prey lingering around the edges of the moonlit meadow.

The faraway mountains had jagged peaks that looked as cruel as a hag's teeth silhouetted against a starry sky.

Fifteen minutes crawled by. And five. Then another seven or so. Beneath an onslaught of glittering stars, the Hogwarts Express steamrollered on until it slowed right down and came to a gradual halt at the platform. The doors glided open and the students charged their way toward them — they subsequently deboarded onto a tiny, dark platform illuminated by a string of quaint, golden lamplight.

A fervent buzz of zeal and zest was apparent in the brisk, autumn air; everyone was eager to begin the new school year at Hogwarts, School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Girls and boys sporting cheerful grins thronged the dimly-lit platform. Lost amongst this hubbub was Evadne Verlaine, clad in her school uniform and alone without her fellow prefect, Tom Riddle. Her hair was kindred to silk obsidian as it cascaded down to her collar-bone like the black ink on a tilted piece of parchment. She had a delicate upturned nose which seemed to be perpetually disdaining things, long black hair, and thin, dark brows set into a slight frown.

There was a sudden icy gust of wind. She quivered beneath the fabric of her Slytherin cloak, still fastened over her school robes since she'd gotten changed into her uniform before the train arrived at Hogsmeade.Evadne quickly made her way over to the carriages, wasting no time to search for anyone she knew.

Up above, stars twinkled and dazzled across the sky, like the widespread embers of a dying fire.

*

The Great Hall looked its usual brilliant self, as customarily decorated with the annual start-of-term feast embellishments: it was a bustling stone room with silver-gilt cutlery, golden platters, and goblets that glittered by the hundreds upon thousands of enkindled candles levitating atop all four house tables in mid-air. The dozens of candles illuminated the room; the enchanted ceiling towered high above everyone — thanks to 'Hogwarts: A History', Evadne knew it was bewitched to appear indistinguishable to the star-littered night sky of the outside.