Chapter 9: Morsmordre

IX

IX

As Evadne and Dumbledore had planned, she arrived at his office after their transfiguration lesson on Monday afternoon to further discuss matters concerning Evadne's situation.

"She's in Dumbledore's office right now, My Lord," reported Aradeus Lestrange.

Tom furrowed his brows in bemusement. "What's she doing in there?"

"I don't know," Lestrange quickly answered. "But if we do anything now, there will be even a greater deal of suspicion if this goes badly..."

Abraxas and Henry grimaced.

"I don't care," Tom said, indignant. "I don't want that old buffoon getting into Verlaine's head before I've properly had the chance to persuade her. This needs to be done as soon as possible - you all know that. And now that I think Dumbledore is once again sticking his nose in places it shouldn't be..." Tom paused for a short moment, pacing up and down the vicinity in front of the fireplace.

"What should we do?" asked Travers.

Tom put his hand on the wall, staring into the dancing flames in the hearth. He pursed his lips, a single lock of black hair falling in front of his eyes. Clad in all-black, he looked frightening, like an antithesis to the light – paired with the stone-cold expression he bore, he could make anyone cower beneath him and not think twice about defying his words.

He turned away from the roaring fire to face his followers. "Send the girls," he said darkly. "Aldora, Artemisia, this will be your task." Tom
cocked his head to the side at Aldora's strained expression. "What? Do you have any quarrels with what I've just said? I thought that you hate Evadne Verlaine."

Aldora gulped. "I do! It's just..."

Malfoy and Lestrange snickered. "You're scared of her, aren't you?" the boys teased, earning an admonishing look from Aldora Carrow and Artemisia Shafiq.

Osric shrugged from his seat. "I don't blame you both, Evadne is going to send you to the Hospital Wing."

Artemisia narrowed her eyes at Osric. "First name basis now?" She scoffed condescendingly. "I didn't know you two were friends."

Tom's head snapped in Avery's direction.

"We're not," Osric conceded, calm and collected. "But I'm just saying the truth. Evadne is a far more talented and powerful witch than the both of you combined. And as our Lord said, she carries Slytherin's blood."