Layout/Structure

It really annoys people when you lay your writing out like this:

"My name is Julie," says the girl. "My name is Aria," I reply.

Do not write like that, or like this:

"My name is Julie," says the girl.
"My name is Aria," I reply.

No. You should write like this (with a line between each speech or paragraph):

"My name is Julie," says the girl.

"My name us Aria," I reply.

SEE THE DIFFERENCE? Its so much neater with a line between. You have so much more freedom and all your writing isn't cramped up. You need to remember that writing isn't just about the quality, you also need an appealing layout.

Such as paragraphs that are 5 hours long NO ONE wants to read a ridiculously long paragraph, seriously split it into two or three, so people remain interested. Please excuse my minor hypocrisy (I'm afraid to say I often write in large, rather off-putting paragraphs such as in this book).

You also need to remember that there's a beginning, a middle and an end. I know you're taught all of these in school and they make it so boring but all you need to know is that...
THE BEGINNING IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS THE MIDDLE AND THE END!

Seriously though, you can't start your story off as if you only care about the juicy part, it's the build up that counts. And remember to describe the settings, the characters etc. But not SO MUCH that it's an analysis.

It's always a good idea to make a plan for your book so you don't get lost along the way and you find that your characters actually have a purpose/intention in each chapter!