The rescue

I can't breath....

I can't see...

I can't feel a thing...

It's so cool here, so cold and empty...

There are stars everywhere but they seem so far away. I'm lost, lost in a vast empty space. When I touch the floor it ripples and vines begin to grow all around me. They bloom with flowers of a beautiful coral red. I watched them grow and smiled at the beauty. Then one of the flowers fell, not one petal at a time but the entire head at once.

They all dropped and dispersed Into the darkness. The vines wilted and shrivelled away and one by one the stars went out until just one remained. That last one shone brighter and illuminated a silver trumpet...

It was so beautiful...

"...Seraph...seventh...seventh seraph..." I whispered reaching out for the instrument slowly. My fingers brushed the cool metal and I suddenly had to take a sharp intake of breath. Just like that the world flashed and I dropped feeling that pain in my back. Again I was coughing, metallic taste on my tongue. The roof spun and I lay there trying to scream...

Around I felt the plants growing back again, covering me as they flourished. As they grew I felt my own consciousness fading and feeding into them. It like, they were a part of me...

Third person pov

Darkness had fallen across the base. Flood lights could light up the grounds but they did little to penetrate the darkness looming all around. Members of the Hiragi forces guarded the facility, insignificant soldiers posted at the wall. Yuu was still in his coma, deeply asleep due to his medication. However, Shinoa squad was very much active.

One in the gate house, one by the generators, two guarding the building, and the leader by the lab. It was all set, ready for the 'vampire attack'. Beyond the site, Crowley was ready too, just waiting for a sign, for once he did not wear his white and cape, but instead a uniform Shinoa had stolen for him. He paced back and forth in patiently, waiting for the fence lights to flicker out. Without the weight of his sword on his hip, well, he felt strange. Crowley had spent millennia wearing that sword nearly every day. It was likely the night of the Kizer's ball that he was last without it.
The night he met her...
There was a tug at his soul, an ache from an invisible thread. It thrashed and for a moment, Crowley swore he saw the red string of fate flying through the air. He lay a hand over his heart and clutched at the fabric tight enough to tear. The uniform wasn't in the bear condition anyway - it had been hard to find one tall enough for Crowley. He didn't ask where Shinoa had found it. It didn't matter, not compared with saving you.
The lights blinked then flickered out the clicking of the electric fence died and was replaced with the sounds of crickets. Crowley's eyes slid to the gate, saw the red lights that locked it turn and the guards go inside.
It suddenly struck   Crowley that this could all be a trap. Shinoa was a Hiragi, he'd seen what they did to Vampires and even their own. He had heard the tales of Mahiro Hiragi and what she had become. If he passed those gates, no one would come for him. This would be his mistake if he was caught.
But...if he didn't go, you would suffer instead. He couldn't bare that thought for a second. Shinoa had said they were experimenting with you, who knew what that meant. If he didn't act...Kureto would tear you apart...
Crowley pulled the cap down his brow slightly, and ran for the gate. He slipped through the ajar doors. Despite the late hour, there were still many soldiers about. Humans walked in teams and pairs, investigating what had cut power to the fences. None batted an eye at him. It was like being a squire again, no one paying any attention to what he did. So, the vampire checked the little map Shinoa had given him and set off.
The map wasn't needed in the end. That little red string of fate was what guided him. It tugged and twirled, guiding him past the blonde in bunches as her wary comrade. It guided him through the halls of unseeing faces. When he felt lost, it gave him a path.
Then he froze.
Paces away, stood the lieutenant colonel he'd seen in so many battles. The one with the bluish black hair that was using Krul's experiment for himself. The one Mariah had stood by for years before betraying.
His violet eyes were set on the Vampire, hand reaching for the hilt of his sword. Crowley gulped and hesitated to reach for his own. Guran took two steps forward, those steps echoing in the empty hall.
Crowley's lips parted to speak, but Guran was faster.
"Duck." He said in a stoney way. Crowley faltered, instincts telling him to draw his weapon as Guran rushed him. But, Guran didn't aim for him...but something behind. Crowley managed to step aside just in time, turning and watching Guran rush by. Metal met metal in a mighty crash.
"Hello again, Guran." A voice that grinned and mocked with its words chuckled. Crowley's eyes widened as he saw the young woman frozen in time. Guran's eyes flickered from her to him and then back to her.
"I liked you better when you didn't speak Mariah." Guran grunted. Crowley settled, realised this put time pressure on his mission. Ferid had his own plans, and Crowley didn't want to find out what they were.
"Soldier, go, I've got this from here." Guran said without looking round. But Crowley didn't move. Guran didn't know who he was, what he was. He was too focused on Mariah. It would be easier to defeat him, instincts Crowley was desperate to fight. Then again...if he hurt her...
"That's an order soldier, this traitor's mine to capture." Guran said before striking again. His strike wasn't so strong however, was a defence not an attack.  Crowley saw it, reconsidered the carefulness behind the anger of the moves. The vampire nodded and left.
As he jogged away, a familiar scythe burst from flames by him. A flurry of purple hair and green uniform and only a glimpse of her face. Crowley saw them for just a second but it was enough. Shinoa gave him a little smile as she rushed by to assist Guran.
Now, it was all up to him...