Chapter Three - Please Pick Up

"Good morning." Wanda whispered gently. She had her arms wrapped around you and you were cuddling into her side when you woke up.

"Morning." You opened your eyes slowly to take in your surroundings, and that's when you remembered where you were and why you were there. Your heart sunk again at the realisation of what Wanda told you, and your stomach twisted at the thought of having to deal with it today.

"You might want to look at your phone, it's been ringing a lot." Wanda said, pausing before continuing. "And he's also knocked on the door to try and find you."

You let out a quiet groan and a sigh, before squeezing Wanda a little tighter.

"I don't even know what to say."

"I know. You don't need to say anything just now anyway, I told him you were sleeping and you didn't want disturbed." She said reassuringly. You smiled at her softly, and closed your eyes again.

"How was last night anyway? I'm sorry, I was barely even there in the end."

"Don't be silly. It was good, I couldn't help but think about you the whole time but thankfully Nat didn't come back - I'm worried about what I might have said with a few more drinks in me."

"Now that's a fight I'd love to see." You smiled at her softly. "She tried to speak to me last night when I was walking in the door."

"Really?" Wanda said, surprised. "What did she say?"

"She asked me to wait, but I couldn't look at her. Then she told me to let her know when I'm ready to talk."

"Ready to talk to her?! If you ever talk to her again it will be too soon. She has some nerve." Wanda said, frowning and sounding very annoyed. You smiled at her defensive response, appreciating how good a friend she was.

"I don't know what to say to her, either." You paused. "I don't want to leave this room."

"Well it's a good thing you don't have to. I'm going to head down to get breakfast with Vis, but I'll bring you up some food and we can watch some tv." She smiled at you.

"I'd like that, thank you." You squeezed her again, then let go as she slowly began to get up.

Once Wanda had left you sat up slowly in the bed and looked over to your phone. You knew it was going to hurt but your own curiosity got the better of you and you picked it up to read the notifications:

- Missed Call from Bucky (3)
- Text from Bucky: 'Please pick up'
- Missed Call from Bucky
- Missed Call from Bucky (2)
- Text from Bucky: 'Where are you? Are you OK? X'
- Missed Call from Bucky
- Missed Call from Bucky (6)

As you read down the notifications you began to feel more angry, you had been in a good place for so long and then out of the blue - this. Whilst you didn't know what you wanted to say you could already feel in your heart that there was no coming back from this, no trusting him again and no loving him again.

As you were in the middle of your thoughts, your phone began to buzz in your hand suddenly. You looked down to see an incoming call from Bucky. Your heart began to race and your thumb hovered over the reject button, before in a moment of bravery, accepting the call and putting the phone to your ear.

"... hello?" Came Bucky's voice, confused on the other end.

You didn't say anything, as shocked at the call as you were in yourself for answering it, you hadn't thought about what you wanted to say.

"Are you there? Y/n?" He said again, nervously.

"Yeah." You replied softly, it was all you could muster.

"Y/n I don't know where to start." He said, sounding worried and nervous still. "Can I come see you to talk about this?"

"I can't Bucky, I don't want to." You said, your breath hitching at the back of your throat as you fought of the impending tears. "And talk about what anyway?"

"About us?" He paused, before continuing. "I know I fucked up, but maybe if I explain..."

He started to say but you interrupted him quickly.

"Explain what? Explain why you did it? Explain what you did? Explain when you did it?" You paused to catch your breath, your breathing was heavy and you could feel yourself clenching up. "I don't want to know any of those things Bucky. I already know that you did it and that hurts enough."

There was a pause and you could hear him take a deep breath on the other end. You hung your head and began to let the tears fall.

"So what are you saying?" He said, sounding slightly defeated, as though he knew exactly what you were about to say and didn't like it.

"I can't trust you anymore Buck. And if I can't trust you, then I can't love you." You said, unable to hide the quiver in your voice any longer.

There was a long pause, you knew that he would understand but be angry at himself. You could hear him kick something on the other end of the phone which made you jump slightly, before he took another deep breath.

"I understand." He said through slightly gritted teeth. "Just know that I'm sorry and I hope we can still work together."

You didn't know what to say to him just now, or how you felt moving forwards so you paused slightly then hung up the call. You let the phone fall to your lap and let the tears fall again, curling up into the pillow. It wasn't long before Wanda came back with food and found you in tears.

You told her about the conversation and she stayed with you in the room for the rest of the day watching films, bringing up food for you and letting you borrow her clothes. You did everything you could to push it to the back of your mind and eventually you fell asleep again that evening with Wanda still by your side.