Chapter Eleven - Fucked Up Mess

Moments later dozens of SHIELD agents came down the stairs, a group of 6 of them restraining Bucky, who was now walking in compliance but looking furious.

"This is bullshit Fury and you fucking know it!" He shouted, spitting in Nick's direction.

Steve stood up angrily and began to walk towards Bucky, but stopped as Fury calmly put his hand up.

"You'll get what you damn well deserve." He said. "Now get him out of here."

On that, the SHIELD agents continued to escort Bucky out of the room, who was now resisting as much as possible. He saw you as he was escorted out, glanced at you but then ignored you and continued in his struggles to get free.

"What's going on?" You said as he left the room, looking up at Nick with a great deal of concern. "Why are they taking him away?"

"I had hoped to do this at a better time." Nick sighed. "But it's better you all hear this sooner rather than later."

He paused and as he did, everybody looked up at him in anticipation.

"For over a year now we've suspected a leak from inside the compound to Hydra. We started from the bottom, went through every SHIELD agent and then got to you guys. Bucky had been a suspect for a while but we needed confirmation, and we needed proof. Nat here has been working undercover for the last couple of months to get close to him and find out what she can, whatever means necessary." He said calmly, nodding in Nat's direction.

You turned around to look at her, she was already looking at you while leaning against the door frame.

"Why not ask Y/n to just get information?" Wanda said. "Why put her through that?"

"Well we didn't know exactly who we could trust to begin with, no disrespect. With the collapse of SHIELD before, the only people who knew about this were Steve and Nat." He said.

"Plus, once we knew it was him, none of us wanted you near that ass hole." Nat added, looking at you again.

You paused as you took all of this information in, glancing around at the faces on you.

"What will happen to him now?" Said Steve, who hadn't said a word this whole time.

"Well, we think HYDRA might in some way be controlling Bucky's mind still. If that's correct then hopefully we can prevent this and he can rejoin the team, maybe with less responsibilities. However we have to be open to the possibility that he has been doing it willingly, too." Fury responded.

Steve nodded slowly, clearly disheartened but in agreement it was the best thing to do.

"I'll take it from here, but in the meantime you guys should rest up." He said with a nod, before walking out and following the ensemble of SHIELD agents.

There was a silent pause in the room once he left, you took this as an opportunity to leave and headed for your room. Once you got inside you dumped your bags and lay on your bed, staring up at the ceiling once again.

This is one seriously fucked up mess.

You thought about Nat, you felt guilty now at the way you'd treated her when she was only following orders. All of the anger and betrayal you felt for her had shifted onto Bucky, and what was left was only positives.

You were drawn from your thoughts as there was a gently knock at the door, and before you could say 'come in', Wanda had opened it and poked her head around to smile at you.

"Hey you." She said with a warm smile, walking over to the bed slowly and sitting down next to you. "How are you doing? That was a lot."

You smiled back at her and shrugged your shoulders slightly.

"I'm alright, still wrapping my head around it all." You said sincerely, sitting up.

"Yes I understand. Fury said he'd send out a debrief file for the undercover mission, but from what I can tell Bucky has been responsible for a lot of recent SHIELD agent deaths." She paused and looked at you. "Apparently they intercepted a message to Mitrokov too, trying to blow your undercover mission and get you and Nat killed."

"Jesus." You said, shaking your head slowly.

"Speaking of, how was it?" She said, changing the topic slightly.

"It was fine, good even." You said, thinking back. You remembered the kiss, both of them. And then you thought back to the hotel room and waking up with her arm over you.

"That's good. Maria was telling me that-..."

"I think I like her Wanda." You interrupted her. She frowned and looked at you.

"Maria?"

"No, Nat." You said.

"Nat?!" She said, still confused.

"Yes, Nat."

"As in, Natasha Romanoff?" She asked again.

"For fucks sake Wanda!" You laughed. "Yes, Natasha Romanoff, I think I like her."

You looked up at Wanda to see her reaction, and were surprised to see her suppressing a grin and looking behind you, towards the door. You sighed, and without turning around you looked back at Wanda.

"How long has she been standing there?" You said calmly.

"Long enough." Came Nat's reply from behind you.

"I've just realised I left my pen downstairs... I'll catch up with you guys later!" Wanda said with a grin, standing up and walking out of the room.

There was a slight pause once she did, before you finally turned around to look at Nat. She was standing with her arms folded, leaning her shoulder on the doorframe and trying to suppress a grin.

"The door was open." She said, raising an eyebrow.