Ch 7

The next three days I spent trying to finish the boys' rooms and the School House. Cole had hired a crew to listen to every whim I had and build whatever it was that I wanted for the boys, despite my protests that I could build it myself. That's why, by late Friday evening, I had Eli's room done, Freddie's mostly painted, and the School House was only waiting on the things I'd ordered to arrive before it was complete.

I'd had the crew build window seats for the School House and customize my dining table from the apartment so it would be the perfect game table. I'd ordered some new desks for the boys, something more comfortable, along with the bookshelves, some general children's books and the beanbag chairs for the game table. While the crew had finished up in there, I'd gone on to Eli and Freddie's rooms.

I'd painted Eli's room a deep navy and had added constellations in their correct locations in glow-in-the-dark paint. I'd had the crew build him a raised bed so that underneath he'd have a hidden room to hang out in. Mainly so he wouldn't have to use a safe, because what seven-year-old preferred a safe and not a hideaway clubhouse under his bed? While we'd been gone to Italy, Maggie had ordered books and such for the boys' new rooms, so I unpacked all of Eli's books and mystery activities and organized them on the bookshelves that were built into the wall around the skink terrarium. Once I was finished in there, I moved on to Freddie's room.

Freddie's room had been a lot easier to design, to say the least. I'd had the crew build Freddie a bed in the shape of a dinosaur footprint, with small footprints leading up like stairs on the side. While they worked on that, I worked on painting his room. I started with a moss green base before going back and taping off the room into squares, give or take the size of two of my hands. Then, inside each square, I painted a different arrangement of things – dinosaur footprints, a handful of leaves they'd been fond of eating, and dinosaur eggs of all shapes and sizes. As I painted them, I labeled each.

That night, with help from one of the guards who was doubling as the butler, I got Freddie's bed outside and spray painted before we carried it upstairs to his room. I fixed his bed, picking a set of sheets that I'd used as inspiration for his room décor. I'd just thrown the comforter on when Cole peeked in the door.

"Wow." He started, pushing the door open to step inside, his eyes on the walls. "You've outdone yourself, Macy."

"Thank you." I announced with a wide grin. "I hope the boys like it when they get back."

"You've finished Eli's room?" When I nodded, he turned and strode across the hallway to look inside. I followed him, standing in the doorway as he looked everything over. "I assume these constellations are accurate?"

"Oh yes. Eli would not be happy if they weren't." He chuckled, sharing a smile with me. "There's also a secret hideaway, under his bed." He pulled the door open and looked inside.

"In just a few short weeks, you've gone from not knowing my children at all to quite literally giving them a room I'm sure even they couldn't dream up." I smiled in response. "Thank you, Macy. This is the first time they haven't picked something for themselves, and already I want to bring them home to see the joy and excitement on their faces as they see these rooms."

"You should wait until the School House is finished." I joked, my face going hot at the look he sent me. Like he wasn't sure if he wanted to devour me whole or savor me slowly and thoroughly. "While I have you here, I'd also like a list of meals for the week that you'd like to have, as well as any appointments or meetings for the office so I can get that schedule written-" I cut off when he jerked me into his arms and kissed me roughly. When he pulled away, I was breathless.

"I'm not going to apologize for that." He whispered, brushing his thumb over my swollen bottom lip. When I blinked, he'd already left the room. I flinched when his door slammed shut a minute later. When men got horny, did they also get angry?