11

Just a disclaimer, I'm very American, so I'm not sure how the whole train system works in the UK, but I hope this is a somewhat accurate representation. I've had most of this chapter written since May but I had absolutely no motivation to write the ending aha. Sorry for lack of chapters recently. Missed you guys, party people. :)

A few weeks later, Y/N was snuggled up on Wilbur's couch, asleep, with Pebbles laying on their stomach, also asleep.

A tad past 2 AM, Y/N woke up to their phone ringing. It was a contact she hadn't seen in a long time. Almost a year, to be exact.

Mom

What the fuck is she calling me for? Can't even wish me happy birthday or text me on any other occasion, but she can call me at 2 AM?

Y/N and their mom's relationship was a bit rocky. She's always used their dad for money. Ever since before Y/N was born, that was the way she'd always been. When they were about 14, Y/N endured the pain of being in the middle of a custody battle. Their mom was divorcing their dad. Their dad won custody, but their mom got most of the money from the divorce settlement. They became close with their dad in the process. They missed their dad every day, but their mom was the reason they moved 5 hours away to Brighton. When they grew up, they didn't talk to their mom anymore. That was their own choice, but here she was, calling them. 

They picked up Pebbles and scooted until they were sat up. They laid the kitten down on their legs before picking up the phone. 

"Hello?" 

"Hey honey I-"

"Don't call me that. What do you want?"

Pebbles jumped off Y/N's lap and onto the floor.

"I just wanted to call you and tell you that your father is in the hospital. He had a heart attack."

If they hadn't of been trying to not wake Wilbur, they could have screamed. 

"I'm on my way."

The call was dropped.

They got up and folded the blanket Wilbur lent them and laid it back down on the couch. Pebbles had trotted off somewhere by now. They gathered what little belongings they brought with them and prepared to leave. They would text Wilbur in the morning and tell him where they went. He would understand. They shut the door a little louder than they would have liked, but they power walked to their home. They rushed around, changing clothes, then packing enough clothing and toiletries for 7 days. They didn't know how long they would have to stay in Wales, but hopefully not longer than that. They still had their life moving back in Brighton as much as they wished it would slow down for just a little bit while they took care of this emergency. 

They remembered they needed to make sure it was even possible to get from Brighton to Newport, Wales, where the hospital was, today. There were no trains going directly, but they found they could take the train from Brighton to Cardiff, and from Cardiff to Newport. The train to Cardiff didn't leave until at least 5 AM though.

They got all their bags together and prepared to walk the few miles to the train station.

When they opened the door, they were met with Wilbur, hand raised preparing to knock, in his pajamas. They both jumped a little when they saw each other.

"Damn, Y/N, you almost gave me a heart attack!"

"Alright, I know you don't know, but let's not joke about that right now."

Wilbur cocked his head and raised an eyebrow at them.

"My mom called. My dad is in the hospital right now. Heart attack."

Needless to say, Wilbur felt like a dick.

"Holy shit. I'm so sorry, I didn't know. Is that where you're going?"

"It's fine," they started as they pinched the bridge of their nose. "Yeah. My train leaves at five."

"Give me fifteen minutes, that's all I need."

Now Y/N was the one confused.

"What?"

"There's no way I'm letting you go alone."

"Wilbur, it's fine, you really don't have to. Plus, Pebbles."

He looked at them in the eyes with a piercing stare. 

"You remember what I told you a few weeks ago after the party? About people hurting my friends?"

They nodded.

"There's too much shit that happens on those trains to people your age. I'm not letting you go alone."

They realized that Wilbur was not going to take no for an answer. He cared about them too deeply to willfully let them put themself in danger, even when it was just doing a simple task like taking the train. 

He wouldn't let them get hurt. And if he did, he wouldn't forgive himself.

"Plus, I have that feeding robot. And if it's absolutely needed, I can ask a friend to go check on him," Wilbur said. 

"Fine," they sighed. "If you're absolutely sure," they said.

They both walked quickly to Wilbur's. Y/N sat on the couch while Wilbur changed and packed his suitcase. They didn't want to go alone if they were being honest. They were scared. For the trip, their father, everything.

When Wilbur got done packing his bag, they started their journey to the station.

[WC: 861]

[Written: 07/05/22]
[Published: 07/13/22]