14

After getting coffee, Wilbur led Y/N down the street towards his friend's house. He mentioned on the train that they were going to leave their bags there. "Who is this friend," Y/N asked as Wilbur sped up, practically dragging them and their luggage down the street. "She's an old friend from high school." 

"She? I see," Y/N mocked. "Oh god, it's definitely not like that," he laughed. "It could never be like that with anyone ever again since I finally found you," he murmured. "What was that? Speak up Soot," they exclaimed. "Nothing! You'll see soon enough." Then, they were there. 

It was a very small building. Truthfully, it was just a house, but there looked to be multiple people living inside of it. "A group of friends bought this house and they all live here," Wilbur said, seeing the confused look on Y/N's face. He knocked on the door and looked down excitedly at them before bringing his eyes back up to the door as it opened. 

An elderly woman, in her late 60's, early 70's maybe, stood in the door frame. "I wasn't expecting any visitors today! How can I help you young people this fine morning?" The old woman smiled at them both. "Hello! I've come to visit Ms. Wood today. She said she would be in, is she," Wilbur asked. A voice from the dim room behind her spoke up. "Wilbur! Why, hello!" The old woman from the doorway stepped aside and gestured for the duo to step in. 

"Ms. Wood! Hello! How are you?" Y/N had hardly ever seen Wilbur as cheery as he was in this moment. He bent down to hug the old woman who was sat on a jade green couch across from a matching love seat. "I'm definitely surviving," the old woman started as she broke the hug. "Sit down you two, please sit!" Wilbur sat on one side of the love seat and Y/N sat on the other. "Actually, I want a hug from you, too," she said, looking at Y/N. They complied and gave the woman a shorter, but still warm hug. "Y/N, this is my English teacher from high school, Ms Wood! She is like a grandmother to me. Always has been," Wilbur said. Y/N started to introduce themselves, but was quickly interrupted. "Wilbur. How many times have I told you this? You've graduated. You can call me Lindy. Also, Y/N, it's very nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you too!" Y/N's leg started to bounce up and down. They didn't know where this sudden anxiety was coming from. They guessed it was because they wanted to impress someone Wilbur thought of so highly. Why though? The feeling of Wilbur's hand on their knee was the only thing to pull them out of their thoughts. They looked up at him for a moment. Wilbur looked down to them, but they both quickly looked away after very briefly making eye contact. They put their hand on top of Wilbur's. 

"Has he been treating you good," Ms. Wood asked Y/N. "Yep. He always does," they answered. She smiled and leaned back in her chair. "Good, good. Well, I hate to be this way, but I need to talk to Wilbur alone for a minute. Is that okay," she asked. "Yeah! Of course." 

"There's a sun room through that door right there," Ms. Wood said. She pointed to one of many green doors. "There's many plants out there, and a cat too! I think you'll find it peaceful." Y/N smiled at both Wilbur and Lindy before she walked out into the sun room. While they waited, they figured they would call their mom and tell her what the hold up was. Also, they needed to call their boss. Y/N dreaded both phone calls. 

"Who is that fine young person," Ms. Wood asked Wilbur. "They're basically my best friend. We hang out all the time. They're one of the best thing to ever happen to me. And I'm a hundred percent sure that they're my soulmate," Wilbur gushed. "Oh really? Tell me the story," Lindy insisted. 

"Well it all started when I was walking home one night..."

Out in the sun room, Y/N was pacing back and forth while on the phone with their boss. She was absolutely chewing them out. They cut her off. "I don't want to hear it! I've put all of my priorities LAST for this job! I bend over backwards constantly when you need me and I am flexible all the time, but the one day I need it, you can't have mercy? What's up with that? I'm I not worth that to you? My father is in the hospital and you can't give me just a few days to see him and take care of my family. This is ridiculous!" Then the words came that Y/N never thought they would hear:

"You're fired."

Before Y/N could answer, let alone process the words, their boss hung up on them. God, how badly they wanted to cry. But they didn't. In the next room was their best friend and his platonic grandmother whom they wanted to have a good first impression on. This was not worth crying over. On the bright side, they had already gotten both phone calls over with. The one with their mother went smoothly, surprisingly. They sat down on the couch in the sun room to wait for Wilbur or Ms. Wood to retrieve them. All of a sudden, a grey cat jumped up on the couch beside of them. It reminded Y/N of Pebbles, which made them want to cry more. But, once again, they battled the urge and won. Before they knew it, Wilbur came out to bring them back inside the main house. 

"Well, Y/N, it was a pleasure to meet you, but as I understand, Wilbur has some plans for the two of you! I will see you guys later today when you come to get your bags," Lindy said. "Also, Y/N, you've got yourself a very good gentleman on your hands. Thank you for making my boy happy."

Wilbur and Y/N left the house and started walking down the sidewalk. "How'd your phone calls go," he asked. "Well, my father is in stable condition and I'm unemployed." Wilbur chucked a bit at the last part. He looked down at them. "I'm serious, Will. She fired me." The expression on Wilbur's face immediately dropped. "Oh my god," is all he said. 

The next time Wilbur spoke was to tell Y/N that they were almost to their destination. Before they knew it, they were standing in front of the National Museum. 

[WC: 1254]

[Written: 05/29/23]
[Published: 05/29/23]

Hey guys..... This is low-key embarrassing... How y'all doing? So I like disappeared for four months. My bad!! Hopefully this will keep you guys fed for a little bit. I wrote a longer chapter this time. My motivation completely took a dive in February and I wrote here and there but not enough for a complete chapter. I did not forget about you guys! I'm just a master procrastinator! But seriously, let's talk about this. 10k reads to 36k reads since the last time I got on Wattpad. What. That's literally insane. Thank you guys for everything. Also, to everyone who is concerned, I am 100% okay and doing very well! I plan on starting to write more but I cannot promise anything at this time. Please, take care of yourselves. Also, it's exam/finals season, so good luck everyone!! Until we meet again <3