12

Again, as a disclaimer, I know NOTHING about how trains work. So please, pretty please, bare with me. :) ily

Wilbur and Y/N arrived at the station at approximately 3:45 in the morning. 

Halfway there, Will called them an Uber, which is a whole experience in its own.

"Where are you lot heading to this early in the morning? Motel, I suppose," the driver said. Wilbur and Y/N both blushed. They could hear the smirk in his voice. Also, they put the location they needed to go in the app first, so it was a stupid question that stunned them both. Y/N spoke up. "Train station, actually."

"Ah, I see." He started to drive. "Where are you guys going from there?"

"Wales," Wilbur said. The driver hummed and continued to drive. That was the end of speaking until they got to the station. On the way there, he ran two stop lights, rolling-stopped three times, and basically drifted around turns. He slung them across the backseat every time and Y/N could hear their luggage being violently thrown around in the trunk.

 Regardless, they still rated him highly on the app and tipped him well. They both would have felt bad if they didn't. It was really early in the morning and it was better than walking. And if they were being completely honest, it was actually kind of fun. Not the endangerment of their lives and others part, but laughing as Wilbur accidentally elbowed Y/N in the ribs really hard because his seat buckle was barely saving him from being in the floorboard. It took their mind off of the matter at hand, and they were thankful for it, even if it was just for a short drive. 

After a few wrong turns and an unnecessary 25 minutes added to their ETA, they got to the station. Wilbur and Y/N unloaded their suitcases and thanked the driver before he sped off.

But now they were here. Y/N walked to an automated ticket stand and purchased two tickets. Will offered to pay but they declined. They got their tickets and were able to get through the gates. They were going to wait on the platform until their train arrived. 

The station was very empty. They were the only people in sight. They sat on an empty bench and started to wait. Something felt off. They were enjoying each other's company, but the silence between them was uncomfortable. 

Wilbur put his arm around them. The touch made Y/N shiver. "Are you alright?" They looked up at him. "I think I'm just nervous. And tired. Are you okay," they asked. "I'm fine. I'm just glad that I get to be here with you instead of worried sick about you," he said. He smiled at them and they returned it. They laid their head on his shoulder for a moment. 

Internally, Wilbur was already freaking out, trying not to smile even more, but it got even worse when Y/N hugged him around his middle. They looked up at him. "Do you think everything will be okay? Be honest with me, please."

He thought for a second. "I don't know. But no matter what, I'll be here to help you through it," Wilbur replied. "That means a lot to me Will. You don't even know." 

This time, a comfortable silence fell between the two of them, but Wilbur's mind was racing. Are they just being touchy because they're vulnerable or do they like me back? Wait... back? I am like, 99% sure they're my soulmate, but I can't believe I already have feelings for them. We've only been friends for a couple of months.

Wilbur used his other arm to meet the one around Y/N's shoulders halfway, hugging them back. He put his head on top of their head, and they sat like that until the train came. 

When the train arrived about five minutes before 5, they grabbed their luggage and boarded. There was a woman who got in the car in front of them, but other than that, nobody else boarded or got off. On their car, there was a sleeping man, and another man who was on his phone. Wilbur and Y/N sat towards the front of the train car. 

Right on time, the train started to move. The duo got settled and prepared themselves for the five hour trip ahead of them. Wilbur looked over to see Y/N struggling to keep their eyes open. The day prior, they got called to the bookstore really early for a shipment. They didn't have anybody that would be able to come in, so they were forced to handle it on their own. They got there at 6 AM and left at 9 PM, and still insisted on coming over to his house to watch a movie. And of course, waking up at 2 AM to deal with this situation now as well.

"You should sleep," Wilbur said. "No, I'll be alright," Y/N replied drowsily. "You're barely forming words, you need to sleep. We have a big day tomorrow. I'll stay up and watch our stuff. Please?"

"Fine."

So that's exactly what they did. Y/N went to sleep quickly while Will stayed up like the golden retriever he is.  

Hihi!! How are you, party people? So it's coming up on one year since I wrote the first chapter. I didn't publish it until December of 2021, but it's still crazy, right? I was like, "Ah I won't spend too much time on it, I already have the plot points drafted out 'n shit. It'll be a breeze!" Boy was I wrong. I still really enjoy writing this though, and that's why I've decided to release shorter chapters so I can get them out more consistently, and so I don't burn myself out. The very last thing I want is to make writing a chore. 

Also, school year is starting again. Tell me how you guys feel about that! I'm low key excited although I start a new school this year. Wish me luck! Alright, much love, have an awesome week and year and life and beyond. Mwah. 

[WC: 1016]

[Written: 08/02/22]
[Published: 08/03/22]