Prologue: A Devil's Boredom and A Human's Intrigue

"I was born in the underworld. Bred in the underworld. Remained in this bleak, empty, boring realm for decades, maybe centuries. Who knows? The atmosphere is almost always the same bloody red sky. Virtually nothing to do, entertainment comes in the form of devils perpetually tormenting each other. Over... and over... and over... and over! How could anyone consider this 'existing'?! I was born with great power but with no purpose! I have intelligence, but no use for it! Practically all of my kin are driven with the primal, animalistic desire to torment and wreak havoc! While also futilely wishing to enter the living world, and to do what?! The same confounded thing! Is that all I am meant for?! Am I to slowly degrade into nothing more than an animal who hungers for carnage"?!

"IS THIS MY PURPOSE"??!!

The Pitch-Black Devil: Darkrai, narrates and rages. The endless days in the underworld have made him completely desensitized to the nothingness. It was always the same, blindly roaming the underworld, not that there was anything to see. Shooing away devils intending to use him for entertainment. Evading detection from Supreme Devils, since his name and intriguing magic power, has sparked their interest.

The boredom was so painful, so unbearable, that death seemed like a blessing. However, as if devils would grant such reprieve to a tormented soul. They would simply relish in their pain for their own amusement.  

Fiddling with his magic couldn't keep him occupied for long enough. He once tried torturing other mid-ranking devils. But he felt nothing, no joy, no disgust... Just nothing.

This 'Nonexistence' was almost mind crushing. Darkrai found himself a quiet area to rest, awaiting any possible degradation with no care. Only hoping that it would erase his memory.

Hours, went by and Darkrai sleeps with no interference. Suddenly, he felt an odd disturbance. It wasn't a devils magic, it was foreign but at same time familiar.

Moments later his body was warped away to parts unknown.  

(Some Time Prior)

Meanwhile in the Living World...

Within the boundaries of the Clover Kingdom, a human nobleman of House Faust is deep in the study of demonology. First introduced to him by his father and mother, and soon discovers his natural affinity for the study. By partaking in a ritual known as the Devil-Binding Ritual, the young noble has already succeeded in binding two mid-ranking devils. While in the hidden chamber of his house, his father and mother arrive.

"Ah, Nacht. Still developing your knowledge of devils I see". The mother spoke up.

Nacht places down the textbook he was reading.

"Or course I am. I'm looking for something a little more, advanced". Nacht responded.

"Is that so"? The father smiled ominously.

"Then maybe this ought to pique your interests". The father hands him notes a particularly unique devil.

"Huh? A new devil"? Nacht questioned.

"Yes. The Pitch-Black Devil and the embodiment of Nightmares. His name is Darkrai".

"Darkrai"? Nacht quickly reads through the text detailing The Pitch-Black devil.

"What's so interesting about this one? He's just another mid-ranking devil". Nacht fails to see the appeal.

"That's true. However, there is a strong likelihood that his power is close to reaching that of a high-ranking devil. On top of that, it is said that his magic can even impress Supreme Devils". The father explains.

Nacht's expression changed from disinterest to shock.

"Seriously"?! He exclaimed.

"It's true boss". A small devil familiar emerges from Nacht's shadow.