Kiss and Makeup

-Marc teaches Steven how to cover up bruises through the mirror after ep4's punch-

•written for my friend lucy

comment as you go !

"So what? You're in love with my wife?"

The situation was almost laughable and Steven had finally had enough with trying to hide that, breaking down into borderline manic laughter as Marc's eyes burned with jealousy through the cracked mirror.

"Huh? Is this funny to you? That you're making moves on my fucking wife?"

"You're the one who abandoned her," Steven taunted , driving his finger towards the shattered glass. "You left her in the dark, just like you left me! Do you really expect us to roll over and do what you want, huh?"

"You don't understand, Steven," Marc sighed, face pinched as he edged closer to the border between mirror and reality.

"Don't pull that bollocks on me again," Steven all but yelled, praying as he always religiously had that Layla wouldn't hear the commotion and interrupt.

This was a long overdue conversation and now that Steven was preparing to dive headfirst into Marc's appropriately dubbed 'suicide mission' he would prefer to get it over with. "I'm not some- some child you can boss around!"

"Well maybe if you stopped acting like one for a single damn minute," Marc huffed and Steven choked on another laugh.

"Yeah? That's real rich coming from you, innit" he huffed, moving towards the fluttering sheet that shrouded the exit to the tent. "Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to find Layla and we're going to go  get Ammit and you are gonna stay in that mirror where you belong."

"No the hell you're not!" Marc yelled after him, fist banging against the glass as Steven felt himself stumble, losing his grip on the cloth as he fell backwards into the tent again.

Marc was trying to push into the driver's seat.

Steven pushed back as hard as he could, gripping at his curls as he hugged his knees to his chest with strain. He wasn't going to lose this battle, he wasn't going to let Marc ruin what little Steven had left.

"No! No you stay away, you git!" He yelped, gasping as he felt his grip on reality slip a little too far, vision going black as he blinked his way into the mirror just in time to watch Marc slam their fist into their shared face, feeling the phantom pain of the punch as Marc proceeded to bang their face into a nearby table leg.

The force of the hit was enough to shake Marc's focus and Steven didn't hesitate to throw himself back into the forefront, wincing as the pain washed over him and Marc barked in annoyance at finding himself back in the mirror.

"You motherfu-!" Steven whined, palming his face and hissing as the skin throbbed in complaint. "This is your body too, do you have no regard for your own safety?

"Stay away from my wife or I'll throw us off a cliff," Marc threatened and somehow Steven had no doubts that he meant it.

He drew his hands away from his face and almost choked on his tongue as he saw the blood dotted on his fingertips, darting to the mirror and flinching as he met Marc's gaze, seeing his own bruised eye and bloody nose reflected back at him.

"Damn it, Marc, that hurt!"

"That was the point," Marc said gruffly, wiping his own smear of blood away with his sleeve as Steven stared at the red dancing across his finger.

"Layla is gonna worry," Steven grumbled and that seemed to fully grasp Marc's attention. "And in case you've forgotten, you doughnut, we're supposed to be racing the child murdering cult people to Ammit's tomb and you're the one who didn't want your wife anywhere near me!"