Chapter 4: Old Master of Form

Watermelon Lemonade

Chapter 4

Old Master of Form

Zane watched the man from over his cards. He didn't make any sudden movements, and just ordered himself a cold one just like everyone else. He laughed just as loud, and joked just as cornily as the others. The man's smile reached his eyes which wasn't as hard for a snake.

"You look a lot like her." He spoke to him after a few others finally went to bed. Most of the room was empty now save for them. The man continued to cut the cards and shuffle them before sitting back and lighting a cigar.

"Who?" Dareth asked looking up from his dinner.

"Danny..." Both guys stood up and glared down at him. He had his hands up and he shook his head. "I"m not going to put up with a fight. I've been hiding for too long, and I'm stuck in this form." He sighed and sat back picking his teeth.

"How do you know Danny?" Zane demanded.

"Ah, she didn't tell you? I'd figured you'd have known since you're married to her." He cleared his throat. "I'll tell you the tale...of the master of form, and the master of melding."

I wasn't exactly innocent, and neither was your grandfather's partner Plexiglass. We both dabbled in the thieving rings. He stole stuff, I stole stuff. We were rather good at it too. But I stole something from someone I shouldn't have and I ended up with an elite set of assassins on my tail. One of them was your dear sister Danny. She caught me a few times without realizing it. But doing so led them to the master of melding. Your pap...I imagine you have that power now. But he found a way to meld together with the guy that I was shadowing. Turned out to be a very popular star during the early years of movies. Glass Steels. I took on his face to get away from the assassin...which technically resulted in him being assessed too. In the end...I ran as far away as I could out here...left my family alone so they were safe...I guess my wife was pregnant cause that one must have had the power cause well...I'm stuck like this in limon as a wrangler and...well...I donno what happened to Glass...I assume he ran off with Danny, but I guess they axed her memories...again..."

"Camella. The new master of form's name is Camella." Zane told him. "I'm the master of ice. We've brushed paths a few times over the past few months. She's good at what she does too. Helped us out against a strong foe." Zane informed him. He chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck.

"You know I never meant to hurt any of them...it was just the thrill of the hunt and hide out afterward." The chair scooted over and Dareth looked down at Inky as she sat down putting her head on the table.

"Ow..." she moaned. Shaw laughed and pointed at the girl.

"Yours huh? She looks just like you." Dareth chuckled, patting Inky's back.

"You should be asleep." Zane told her. She shook her head.

"Not when your stomach sounds like an engine growling." The waitress heard as she was busing tables.

"Dawww, I'll go get you a bowl sweetie." She came back a little while later. A small bowl with a roll, and milk. "There you go, sugar. Call me if you need anything else. Kid looks like a bean pole, Shaw." She patted his shoulder as she went back to her cleaning.

Inky still needed to gain weight as she was only just adopted not too long ago. It had been...six months now? Maybe a little longer...she still had the bags under her eyes.

"We adopted her from a horrible upbringing." Dareth said as he watched Inky scarf the food in front of her. She was eating as if she had never eaten anything before.

"So have you asked if he knows where mom is yet?"

"You're looking for Danny? Pity...I don't think anyone knows just where her hideout is...not even him..."

"Him?"

"Her first lover...Glass Steels." Dareth and Zane looked at one another.

"But...if you must know...she did have a huge habit of hopping a train North...Where she went I do not know... I didn't have the habits of following my assassins around. I just stole things." He chuckled.

"Ah well...at least we got to come to Limon...it's nice here. People are nice."

"Ah yes, they're very kind. It's why I stayed. Welcome me here without question." He chewed on the end of the cigar. "Hope you enjoy it...but whatever you do tomorrow if you go up top...stay away from the watermelon lemonade..." They looked at one another.

"Why's that?" He asked, looking up at the snake.

"Oh no...you drank it..."