Chapter 13

AN: I'm back! And it only took 2 months this time! Might have had it written and sitting on my computer for that long too. Oops. But anyway, here it is. Hope you enjoy!

Arthur decided he was confused. Well, it was a bit more complicated than that. He was angry, hurt, and annoyed, all wrapped up in one, but who he was directing these emotions at seemed to fluctuate. So he decided on confused. He was angry at being lied to, but also hurt, as he had already shown Merlin that he was trustworthy. He was also angry at himself for not being someone that Merlin could turn to. He had thought that there were no more secrets, but he was wrong. And he was annoyed that he was duped again, somehow missing every detail that might have hinted at his servant's birth status. Not that Merlin was careless enough to let such details slip, but Arthur still should have known, even if it was unconsciously, like with Merlin's magic.

It was only after his initial reaction to finding out his friend was a warlock (anger with only a *slight* murderous intent) that he was able to think clearly and realize that the signs had been there all along. For example, branches dropping during battles, rock falls, and an uncanny ability to survive deadly situations almost unscathed. In fact, Merlin's magic was quite obvious, but Arthur was apparently oblivious to such matters. Morgana's betrayal further proved his point.

This was different though. There was absolutely nothing that had hinted at Merlin's royal status. He was terrible with a sword, ridiculously clumsy, and showed very little respect for those with status. Well, at least he generally showed very little respect for Arthur. But still, he couldn't think of anything that might have hinted at Merlin's secret.

He stopped in a small clearing, realizing he had been walking for quite a while, lost in thought. Kicking a stray rock, Arthur glanced around his new surroundings, looking for a place to sit. Finding a mossy log, he tried, and failed, to brush it off, then sat with a sigh. With everything that had happened between him and Merlin over the years, and now knowing Merlin's true past, he couldn't find it in himself to stay angry. Had he been forced from his kingdom and sent to live in a city that would kill him for simply being born, Arthur was pretty sure he would have kept certain things to himself as well. He was still hurt, but understood Merlin's omission of the truth. He just hoped that this was the last of the lies.

Leaning back to stare at the sky through the changing leaves, bits of blue peeking through flaming reds and golds, Arthur took a deep breath. Only hours ago he was sitting by a fire, telling foreign knights of his plan to make his servant the Court Sorcerer to help reinstate magic in Camelot. Now it was mid morning, and that same servant was already the prince of another kingdom, the foreign knights loyal to him, with duties to fulfill that didn't involve Arthur or Camelot. How could he expect Merlin to still accept the position? Why would he choose another kingdom over his own? Especially one that still doesn't fully embrace him, at least in the terms of the law. No, Arthur couldn't ask Merlin to give up his birthright just to stay in Camelot.

Disappointed in the turn of events, Arthur stretched and stood, trying to distract his mind. But it was too quiet here. No insults thrown, no clang of dishes as Merlin attempted to carry too many dirty bowls at once and inevitably tripped. He stopped short. What was he going to do now? Merlin couldn't carry on as his servant. It was bad enough that he had a prince scrubbing his boots without knowing. But now that he knew the truth, there was no way Merlin could continue in his duties. It would be an insult to Dreócræft and its monarchy, and the last thing he wanted to do was offend an already hurting nation.

Shaking his head, Arthur turned to head back towards the clearing he came from. Perhaps on his walk back, he could think of what to say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Arthur reached the clearing, he stopped for a moment to watch the knights of opposite kingdoms mingling together: one that had waged a war on magic, and one that had embraced it, never wavering. Even if Merlin couldn't stay in Camelot, perhaps an alliance with his kingdom would be just as beneficial, showing the people and councilors of Camelot what Arthur had come to realize himself, that magic could be good and the people that wield it are not inherently evil.

He was almost relieved to see how at ease Merlin was with his friends, both old and new mixing together readily, likely eager for stories of the prince's two very different lives. Arthur hadn't realized just how much of himself the warlock had hidden until now. Merlin seemed to have no reservations for once, his smile completely genuine, and his posture relaxed, obviously trusting everyone around him for the first time in years. He hated to ruin the moment, but the young king knew he had to talk to Merlin. He probably shouldn't have walked away when he did, and he hoped that his actions, though necessary for him to clearly think things through, hadn't hurt the man he considered his closest friend.

Steeling himself, Arthur stepped out the trees and gestured for Merlin to join him. Muttering something to his brother, the warlock stood from his seat near the fire and moved to the edge of the clearing, wary of what his friend had to say.

"Prince Merlin," Arthur began, but quickly corrected himself at a perfect imitation of Gaius' eyebrow, "er- Merlin, I-" He stopped and took a breath to collect his thoughts. "I have always known you to be one of the bravest and most loyal men in my ranks. Though you were just a servant, you never hesitated to ride into battle with me or speak out even when it meant you might be thrown in harm's way. You are wise and honorable and a dear friend. Though it hurts me that you were unable to come to me about your situation, I understand why you had to hide, even once I knew about your magic. I imagine I would have acted much the same way had I been in the same situation.

"I don't know what will happen these next few days, but I will do my best to help you regain your kingdom, as you have helped me to do the same twice over. Please forgive me for the way I responded to you earlier, though you must understand this has come as a bit of a shock."

Throughout the speech, Merlin relaxed, no longer afraid that Arthur was still angry with him. He snorted. "Yeah, I imagine it did. Believe me, I was shocked myself when Garrick and the others showed up in the throne room the other day. After seven years, I was beginning to lose hope that I would ever see any of them again." He glanced back at his knights, who were seemingly enthralled by one of Gwaine's many tales, the man gesturing wildly as Leon shook his head at the antics. "I'm sorry I never confided in you. I considered it after you decided not to execute me for my magic," he chuckled softly, "but I was afraid it was too soon, and also of what might become of your involvement with no word of my brother's survival. But now, I cannot thank you enough for your willingness to help, despite my omissions. I am truly sorry for the harm that my lies have caused. I can promise that there will be no more, and I fully intend to explain the whole truth to everyone before we continue to Dreócræft."

If Arthur was surprised by the regality of Merlin's response, he hid it (mostly) well. Satisfied by the warlock's promise, he nodded his assent and offered his forearm, a proper exchange between monarchs. However, propriety, as mentioned before, was not Merlin's forte, and he instead grabbed Arthur's arm and pulled him in for a quick hug.

Spluttering at the unexpected display of affection, Arthur pulled away while Merlin huffed, muttering "Prat," under his breath. But he knew how rarely Arthur put up with hugs from anyone but Gwen, so he must truly be forgiven.

Sighing gently with relief, he turned back to the group of those dearest to him; some he had grown up with, and some he had found years later, but he could trust them all with his life. For the first time since his Uncle's treacherous attack, Merlin finally had a moment of peace.

AN: As always, I truly appreciate the kudos, bookmarks, and reviews! It means a lot to hear from you all. Until next time!