Chapter 4

Yikes.

I am so sorry. I really did not mean for it to take this long. I sat down to try and write a few different times, and each time resulted in me deleting what I had written the last time, but not really coming up with anything good to replace it. This time, though, I think I got it. I have a pretty good idea of where I'm going, and hopefully this self-isolation thing will give me some more free time to work on it. I'm not going to give any specific deadline because they don't seem to work (plus now all of my classes are online), but I'm going to do my best to do better. I don't intend to ever abandon the story, even if it takes a long time between updates.

Disclaimer: I do not own Merlin, only the plot and OCs of this story.

After the rest of his knights had dispersed, Arthur turned to his queen with a grim look on his face. "Guinevere, there is something I must talk to you about."

"Is everything all right?" Her face pinched with worry. "Has something happened?"

"No. Well, yes, but not in the way you might think. Here, come with me." He glanced around, as if he expected someone to be watching him and dropped his voice. "We will discuss this matter in private. I don't want to chance upon any listening ears."

"Alright..." Gwen trailed off as she followed her husband out of the throne room, into the corridor, and down the hall to their shared chambers.

Once they arrived, Arthur ushered her quickly inside and shut the doors, glancing around once more in search of eavesdroppers. Gwen moved to the middle of the room, where she watched her husband anxiously.

"Arthur?" she ventured. When he didn't immediately respond, she tried again. "Arthur? What is it? What's happened?"

After a moments' pause, Arthur moved to join his wife in the middle of the room. "Guinevere, what I have to tell you is of utmost secrecy. There are few others who know, and I need it to stay that way. At least for now, otherwise I fear for the future of Camelot. Can I trust you?"

"Of course. You know I would never do anything to put you or the kingdom at risk." Her face softened. "Please, tell me what is causing you this unease."

Arthur's face minutely relaxed from its sternness, and he breathed a small sigh of relief as he took his wife's hands in his. "I am sorry. Of course I can trust you. You've given me no reason not to." He turned away from her and moved towards the window overlooking the courtyard. "It's just that things have been changing so much lately, and I worry for our future. There are many difficult decisions ahead of us. Some of them much sooner than I had hoped."

He turned back towards Gwen and gestured for her to sit at the table. After helping her to sit down, he took his own seat across from her.

"Guinevere, what I must tell you will be difficult to hear. I have been debating whether or not to tell you, or anyone for that matter, for I, myself, found it extremely hard to believe, even when witnessing the reality firsthand."

The more he spoke, the more uneasy Gwen became, her face pinched with worry and her hands fiddling with the fabric of her skirt. She had no idea what he could possibly be talking about, though for him to be this upset it must be horrifying.

"Arthur, please just tell me. I can't take much more of this!"

"Alright." He took a breath to steel himself, then ventured, "Merlin..." He stopped to clear his throat. "Merlin has... magic."

He looked up at Gwen, expecting her to be surprised, maybe even sad or angry. However, he did not expect to look up to find her staring at him intently with... a slight smile?

"Guinevere, what...?" Arthur began.

"Oh, you really are a clotpole, aren't you?"

Arthur was taken aback by her use of Merlin's word. He started to protest, but was cut off by his wife's laugh.

"Arthur, really. You think I didn't know?"

"He told you?!" he asked incredulously.

"Well, no, but he isn't exactly subtle about it, now is he?"

"No," he sighed, "I suppose he isn't."

"So how long have you known, then?"

"A few months."

"Why have you said nothing until now? Does it have something to do with those knights from this morning?"

"Not exactly. This is something I've been thinking over for a while, but with those knights asking for our help, I think some changes need to happen much sooner than I had planned."

Gwen became concerned once more. "What kind of changes?"

"I think it'd be best to wait until the Round Table meets. I would like to discuss them with everyone and I'd rather not repeat myself. It would also be a good idea if Merlin were here to explain some things. It gets a bit more complicated than just 'Merlin has magic', but I'll leave that part to him."

"Alright," Gwen conceded, though there was a hint of concern left in her voice. "Where is Merlin, anyway? Shouldn't he be finished with the knights by now?"

"He should be, yes. That doesn't mean he isn't shirking his duties, though," Arthur grumbled. "He's probably in the tavern with Gwaine or off doing something else he shouldn't be. You go find Leon and have him roundup the knights. I'll go find Merlin and try to prepare him for what's to come."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Merlin!" Arthur bellowed as he moved through the castle corridors. Where is that useless manservant?

Just as he prepared to turn the corner, Merlin came barreling out of nowhere and bowled right into his king. While Arthur managed to catch himself, Merlin was not so lucky and fell backwards onto the floor.

"Sorry, Arthur," Merlin grinned sheepishly from the cobblestone of the corridor.

"Merlin," Arthur scolded, "we've talked about this. You cannot address me like that. At least not where just anyone can hear. It is unfitting of a King and his servant."

"Sorry, sire," Merlin's grin faded.

Arthur sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. "No, it is I who should be sorry. It's been months now and I've yet to change anything."

"Arthur? What are you saying?" Merlin's face showed a mix of hope and fear.

"Come. We have much to discuss," Arthur said as he turned back to return to his chambers.

Merlin scrambled to his feet, nearly falling back down in his haste to catch up with Arthur, who was already halfway down the corridor.