Chapter 1

By the time dawn had broken, Merlin's back had long since cramped and the cold from the stone he leaned against had seeped through his skin, seeming to penetrate down through his bones. Rolling his neck to try to relieve some of the building pressure, Merlin peered out the window at all the people beginning to scurry around the lower town. From this distance they appeared as ants, all rushing around, never stopping but to avoid crashing into each other.

How similar it was to home. All the people, going about their business, calling out to friends and neighbors, blissfully unaware of anything that could be wrong... but no, he wouldn't do that to himself. Especially not today, not when he would be forced to remember that night...well that was bad enough. He needn't add to it.

He waited until it was a slightly more reasonable time before he decided to get up and dress himself for the day. Pulling his worn leather jacket over his signature tunic and neckerchief, Merlin stumbled down the short stairs from his room into Gaius' workspace. He quietly padded through the room to the door, which he, after a quick glance to make sure he hadn't woken his surrogate father, slipped through and shut with a soft click.

Making his way to the kitchens, Merlin passed few people, for which he was grateful. He wasn't in the mood to be his normal, cheerful self, flashing a smile at and greeting nearly everyone he came across. He knew that, if he didn't want to concern anyone, he would have to pretend to be his usual optimistic self, but for now, he was content to drown in his thoughts. So he did. Since he had been up early enough, he took his time, meandering through the quiet corridors, remembering what had happened that awful night, 7 years ago.

All too soon, he reached the door to the kitchens. Swiping away the tears that had gathered at the thought of all he had lost, Merlin entered with the most cheerful grin he could muster. It wasn't much, but it apparently passed enough for normal that no one stopped or questioned him. He quickly made his way through the bustling staff, careful not to knock into anything that could spill. He definitely did not want to get yelled at by Cook this morning.

Grabbing the tray with Arthur's breakfast, he maneuvered back out the way he came and hurried through the halls to the King's chambers. Reaching his destination, Merlin nodded to the guards posted at either side of the doors and slipped inside. Setting the tray down on the table, he made his way over to the window, yanking the curtains open to let in the bright sunlight.

"Rise and shine!" he called with false cheerfulness.

"Mmph." Arthur buried his face deeper into the pillow and turned away from the radiant light.

"Come on, you have a busy day ahead of you." Merlin shuffled back to the table and began to set out the various plates of food. When there was no response, Merlin sighed to himself, walked over to the bed, and gripped the comforter, preparing to rip it off of the young King. Mentally preparing himself, he inwardly counted to 3 and yanked the bedcovers back, jumping back to try and avoid the wrath of his master and friend.

"MERLIN!" Arthur bellowed.

"Well, if you'd get up when I tell you, I wouldn't have to do that," Merlin snarked.

"Merlin," Arthur growled with a warning tone.

"Prat," Merlin muttered, turning away to begin cleaning up the mess that had once again taken over the young King's chambers.

Arthur looked around and grabbed the closest thing, a goblet left on his bedside table, and prepared to chuck it at his cheeky manservant's head, when he was suddenly interrupted by a knock on his door. Dropping the goblet onto the bed and shooting one last glare at Merlin, he called out, "Enter!"

Leon opened the door just as Merlin stopped his work long enough to chuck a shirt at Arthur before continuing to move around the room, picking up the various items strewn across the floor. He had to stifle a chuckle when Arthur retaliated by throwing the previously forgotten goblet at Merlin's head. However, both knights were surprised when the usually clumsy servant caught the cup with a deft hand and merely added it to the basket he had been using to collect assorted items of clothing and cutlery. Shooting one more curious glance at the servant, Leon returned his attention to his King.

"Sire, I apologize for disturbing you this early. However, there is an urgent matter for you to attend to. A group of men has arrived, seeking an audience with you. I think you may want to hear what they have to say; they seem quite urgent."

After a moment of consideration, Arthur answered, "Very well. I shall meet them in the throne room in half an hour. You had better call for the others; if their matter is as urgent as you say, whatever it is cannot bode well for us." Arthur got up from the bed and began to put the shirt on, motioning for Merlin to stop his ministrations and come help him.

"Yes, sire." Leon gave a respectful nod and turned to leave. As he walked through the halls, he sent a servant ahead of him to go wake Elyan, Percival, and Gwen while he debated the whereabouts of Gwaine, who, no doubt, had made a spectacle of himself at the tavern again last night. Shaking his head and smiling to himself at the drunkard's antics, the knight turned in the direction of the kitchens, already beginning to hear the faint sounds of Cook's screeching at a certain someone for trying to sneak some food.

As Merlin helped him get ready, Arthur couldn't help but notice his friend's silence. As much as he teased him and told him to shut up, he didn't really mean it. Besides, Merlin was never quiet. There was always some kind of banter to fill the silence and Arthur found that he quite missed it now that it was gone. Upon further inspection, he noticed that Merlin's usual grin was missing as well. Oh, he had a smile plastered on his face, but it wasn't right. It wasn't real. Furrowing his brow, Arthur opened his mouth to ask--

"Be careful, sire. Wouldn't want to hurt yourself by thinking too hard."

Arthur scowled before retorting, "Shut up, Merlin." He paused for a moment, allowing his concern to soften his features. "I was just going to ask... are you feeling alright?"

Merlin froze from his ministrations to glance at his friend. Was that...concern in Arthur's eyes?

"I'm fine."

Arthur didn't miss the slight darkening of Merlin's eyes when he answered, but he decided to let it go. He knew how stubborn the man could be, especially when it came to talking about anything personal. Letting his skepticism bleed into his tone, he relented, "Alright. Come on then, I don't want to be late."

Merlin could tell that Arthur didn't really believe him, but since he wasn't pressing the issue, he couldn't really be bothered to care. As he followed his King through the halls, down to the throne room, he let his mind wander back to that night 7 years ago. He always wondered what had happened to the rest of his friends. He knew they were most likely dead as he hadn't ever heard from them again, but he liked to think that they had somehow escaped. He really hoped that was the case for his older brother, Aurelius.

It had certainly come as a shock to find his father still alive, living alone in a cave, but alas, he was killed just after Merlin had finally found him again. Before he died, he revealed the details of his escape, but he knew nothing of his other son. At least I got to see him one last time, Merlin reasoned with himself. I can't exactly say the same for Aurelius or the others.

Before he could become too immersed in his thoughts, they arrived at the throne room. With one last glance at Merlin, Arthur motioned for the guards to open the doors. When Merlin followed his King inside, he could not quite stifle the sharp intake of air when he realized who the group of men waiting to see Arthur were.

It couldn't be. After all these years?