Chapter 6

Drizzlepaw had trouble falling alseep that night. He was tossing and turning all night and his den mates let him know about it by teasing him about it all morning. Charredstar had also found a mate, Berryheart. A pretty ginger tabby she-cat with brilliant hazel eyes.
Drizzlepaw spent the rest of the day grieving and honoring  Aspensky. He caught a lizard and noticed how skinny his clanmates and himself were. The rain made the ground all slippery and clouded his senses. Not to mention that leaf-bare came. Though it would be over soon, probably. His pangs of  hunger had occurred so frequently, he had grown quite used to that. Their ribs were visible and they were so skinny and frail it felt as if a strong gust of wind could knock him over. So were all the other clans. It got worse as leaf-bare came closer and the water levels rose, forcing them to move higher in the mountains. Several cats would often shares a single rat or lizard sometimes. They were forced to learn  how to hunt birds of prey and it was not fun and terrifying what a birds of prey could do to a cat. Jumproot had gotten severely injured hunting one. He was barely recognizable, black and white tufts of fur was missing from his pelt and scars covered his body and Yewstripe had nearly gotten an eye scratched out. Drizzlepaw was shaken to the core.

Tidestar's POV

A familiar black and white pelt caught Tidestar's eye. Sorrelstar! She ran towards her sister. "Where were you!? I'm so glad you're safe!" Tidestar exclaimed, relief filling her voice. Sorrelstar shook her head. "Don't get too excited yet" She said grimly What does she mean? Sorrelstar answered her question by stepping aside, revealing Nightpool's dead body. Bite marks covered his body and he had a nasty tear in his neck, flesh and bone were exposed. His face was mangled, his jaw and parts of his skull were showing, a crack and teeth marks indented in it. Tidestar's old friend, Nightpool, was now nothing more than a mangled body limp in a pool of blood. "Nightpool!" Tidestar screeched. She turned to Sorrelstar. "What happened!?" Tidestar cried. "Judging by the fox scent. I assume a fox got him. He was dead when I found him. But the fox was still lingering nearby. I scared it off" Sorrelstar explained. Tidestar leaned into her sister's shoulder, sobbing. Sorrelstar curled her tail around Tidestar. "His death was quick, he did not suffer for long." How does she know that? Tidestar blinked away her tears. How could I even think Sorrelstar would have something to do with it? She would never..-would she?" Tidestar glanced at Sorrelstar. No, she's my sister. She wouldn't. "May Starclan welcome him".

Wispburr was a kind and gentle she-cat. Tidestar liked the way Wispburr hummed when she groomed herself and she liked the way Wispburr would let Goosekit and Bouncekit pounce on her tail. She liked Wispburr's name, it sounded like Whisper. But all that has changed lately. Sorrelstar has been teaching Wispburr to be more brutal, more cruel. Sorrelstar was making an impression Wispburr. Sorrelstar put Wispburr through bloody training sessions. Tidestar told Sorrelstar to stop but she never listened. Now Wispburr didn't bother to clean her pelt. She'd snap at anyone who came near her. She missed the old Wispburr. The Wispburr who would groom your pelt when your neck hurt or would fetch you moss when you were sick. What had happened to Wispburr?

One morning;
Tidestar trotted towards Wispburr, who was peacefully curled into a ball, sleeping under a cluster leaf. "Hi" Tidestar purred. Wispburr's eyes flew open and she glared at Tidestar. "What do you want?" She snapped. "Just saying hello." Tidestar meowed. "Im not interesting go away" Wispburr hissed. She unfurled herself and unsheathed her claws "My claws are longer than your life expectation " Wispburr growled threateningly. "I can take a hint" Tidestar murmured and stalked away.

Wispburr's POV
A battle broke out again, between LochClan and RiverClan. Rain drenched the cats below. This fight was like any other. Blood, scratching, biting , screeching.. but something changed.

Wispburr raked Berryheart's side with her claws. Berryheart hissed furiously and sunk her teeth into Wispburr's shoulder, Wispburr threw her off but Berryheart ricocheted off a rock and barreled back into Wispburr, the two wrestled until Wispburr slashed at Berryheart's face, missing her eye just by a whisker. Blood poured down the wound above Berryheart's eye. She closed her eye to avoid from getting blood into it. Berryheart kicked Wispburr away into a shallow river with a sudden amount of strength. Wispburr's head went underneath the surface. She panicked and flailed her paws, kicking Berryheart in the process. Wispburr jumped up and knocking Berryheart to the ground, pinning her. Berryheart struggled underneath Wispburr and failed to kick her off. Blood roared in Wispburr's ears kill her. kill her! KILL HER! A voice bellowed in her mind. When she looked up she saw Sorrelstar making the 'killing' gesture, slowly drawing an invisible line across her throat. "Wait! Don't kill me! You win! You win!" Berryheart cried "Please! Mercy! Have mercy! I'll run away and never come back! You win!" Berryheart pleaded for her life. "You don't have to kill a cat to win a battle.." Sorrelstar's motto echoed in her ears. "This is more than battle, this is war"
She plunged her claws in Berryheart's throat. Berryheart sputtered then fell  limp.
A chorus of screeches of despair rose from all around her. She saw a large red tom charging at her, claws outstretched, yowling and screeching angry curses at her. Charredstar. Wispburr thought with a sudden jolt of fear and regret Why did I do that? What is wrong with me? Wispburr bolted up a nearby tree. Tearing out a claw in the process but she didn't care. Splinters drove into her paw pads and branches whacked her in the face. She reached the top, panting and sobbing. What have I done?