realisation

'We have to find her' Leah screamed to the people who she had spent the last 2 months of her life in hell with, beckoning them to follow her up the spiral staircase. The boy she had been speaking to for information, Raf, followed closely behind, and his seeming alliance with Leah reassured the other boys that they could follow. Fatin immediately recognised the way Raf looked at Leah, as it was the same was she always looked at her.
Reaching the top of the staircase, Leah. lunged for the door in front of her and, as the group all piled out onto the roof, Leah realised the unthinkable:
They were still on the island.

* * *

An ear splitting scream woke me from my sleep. Startled, I sat up and walked over to the monitors, where my new roommate was already sat watching. He hadn't said a word to me since Gretchen brought him in 3 days ago, but now, as he watched the surveillance footage of the group panicking on the roof, he let out a laugh. It was the kind of laugh that the villain in a bond movie would have, though this boys seemingly kind face and stature didn't quite match this villainous laugh.

'Seth?' I asked while he continued to laugh to himself. He turned around and looked at me, still laughing, mind you, and raised his eyebrows.
'Look at those assholes. They actually thought they were getting out. Fucking idiots'. His grin widened in a way that made me concerned that Gretchen may actually have locked me up with a psychopath.

'Seth. You have to make the announcement.' He looked puzzled, as if I should also be treating this as a piss take. You could tell immediately that he doesn't need to be here like the rest of us. Blackmail, promises, blood. Those were our reasons, those were what Gretchen was using against us. But Seth, it's as if he enjoyed this. It's as if he wanted to be here.

'Ladies and gents, welcome to phase 2 of your stay on this magnificent island.' Nora, who had somehow slipped into the room without me noticing, pressed a red button on the wall next to the monitors, causing a loud clicking sound.  The three of us watched as the subjects ran to the door they just emerged from, realising that it had now been locked. Nora and I exchanged guilty looks, before she turned back to stare at her sister on the monitor.

'Now those of you who don't wish to die of dehydration up here, you can exit down the ladder to your right, where you will be safely taken to the next area.' Seth's grin grew wider as the group looked increasingly worried, confused and angry.

'Fuck you' Leah snarled, looking directly in the camera. I had been in charge of watching the female subjects for the first 50 days, under the impression that if I believed that any of the subjects mental or physical health was suffering immensely I would step in to help. Although, no matter how many times I told Gretchen how concerned I was about specific subjects, namely Leah, she did not allow me to step in.